NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Weighted alt-az mount.

Franklin

Not very familiar with alt-az mounts, apart from my little porta, but I'm wondering if there's any info out there on balancing the scope in azimuth with weights. I'm aware that the azimuth balance does not have to be as critical and exact as when balancing a scope in RA with an equatorial mount but I'm trying to get it spot on so as not to put any extra stress on the motors. I've just received an APZ base for my Vixen AP mount and have been playing around with it today. With the FC100DC on board I've got the balance point in altitude when the scope is at 45 degrees but finding the balance in azimuth is not that straight forward. If I weigh the ota and place the same weight at the same distance down the counterweight shaft that the scope is from the centre of the azimuth axis should do it, I think. What are folk's thoughts on this? or am I just being over finicky? If it was purely manual it wouldn't really matter but as I intend using it with the motors I just wanted to do the correct thing.

20220415_133359.jpg

20220415_133201.jpg

20220415_133328.jpg

20220415_133617.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Not very familiar with alt-az mounts, apart from my little porta, but I'm wondering if there's any info out there on balancing the scope in azimuth with weights. I'm aware that the azimuth balance does not have to be as critical and exact as when balancing a scope in RA with an equatorial mount but I'm trying to get it spot on so as not to put any extra stress on the motors. I've just received an APZ base for my Vixen AP mount and have been playing around with it today. With the FC100DC on board I've got the balance point in altitude when the scope is at 45 degrees but finding the balance in azimuth is not that straight forward. If I weigh the ota and place the same weight at the same distance down the counterweight shaft that the scope is from the centre of the azimuth axis should do it, I think. What are folk's thoughts on this? or am I just being over finicky? If it was purely manual it wouldn't really matter but as I intend using it with the motors I just wanted to do the correct thing.

20220415_133359.jpg

20220415_133201.jpg

20220415_133328.jpg

20220415_133617.jpg

I agree, nice set up. I think the way you're balancing is fine, that's what I do with my Mini AZ and Skymax 90.

I have a vixen polaris which I balance differently. I put that in EQ mode and balance it as normal. Then just undo the clamp for EQ and put it in AZ.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

kitchen scales under each of the rear tripod legs

Genius. Had the scope end over a tripod leg and weighed, 5.1kg. Spun around 180deg so counterweight bar over the same leg, 4.7kg. Moved the 1.9kg weight to the end of the bar and bingo, 5.1kg. One nicely balanced scope, thanks @Alien 13.

• Thanks 1