Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eq3 motors not slewing

I have been given an eq3 mount. I put the scope manually in the park position then set up with the handset I enter all location time etc, choose 1 star set up it clicks and the handset says its slewing but the mount/ motors do not move. I escape and if  I go to utilities and test the motors are working and the power supply in this case Battery is above 12 volts and change the slew rate to 8 and I can manually move ra and dec without any problems. I just cant figure out what I am doing wrong. any help would be much appreciated

Henry

So can you manually slew the mount at 8 but not at 9?  Even though the battery says 12V I'd try it with a decent mains power source and see if that makes a difference.  I presume you're not over weight with what's on the mount?

11 hours ago, major tom 1 said:

I have been given an eq3 mount. I put the scope manually in the park position then set up with the handset I enter all location time etc, choose 1 star set up it clicks and the handset says its slewing but the mount/ motors do not move. I escape and if  I go to utilities and test the motors are working and the power supply in this case Battery is above 12 volts and change the slew rate to 8 and I can manually move ra and dec without any problems. I just cant figure out what I am doing wrong. any help would be much appreciated

Henry

If I follow your post correctly, you can use the directional buttons on the handset in speed 8 to move the mount via the motors, but any other speed setting or goto instruction has no affect and the mount fails to move ?

It could be a power issue as the other poster mentioned, and using a mains powered DC adapter that can provide 12v DC and around 2.5amps should rule the battery pack as being the cause.  The strange part is that it responds to a manual command, but not a goto.  When you say given is the mount second hand, or was it new as a gift?  If new then it may be worth contacting the supplier (and the person who gave you the scope) to see if there is a fault with the synscan unit and it can be replaced under warranty

Ability to slew at 8 indicates power to the mount is adequate, but to be sure try at the highest setting, that may be the GoTo speed too.

Monitor the voltage reading in the menu while slewing.

If those tests pass, the handbox showing "Slewing" but the motors not running suggests a software issue.

Maybe try a handbox Reset ?

Michael