Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using SkySafari Plus with tracking platform and DSC system

Simon128D

Okay, so, how to structure this into something that makes sense 😆

Right, I have a 16" Dob, that has a DSC system built in and it works brilliantly with SkySafari but I am also now thinking about getting a tracking platform and I notice that SkySafari - in the scope setup options - has a mount type option for "Alt-Az. Push-To on Equ. Platform" but am not sure how this will work exactly. 
Is there anyone on here that has used this and can explain a few things? 
The big one being, how does the software and star alignment cope when you need to reset the platform for a fresh hour of tracking? Is there some kind of new on screen icon to press when the tracking reset has been done or is it like I imagined, turn the DSC off and redo alignment all over again? 

How can you tune SkySafari to adjust tracking speed to match the platform? I have looked to see if new options open up when selecting this method as your mount type but do not see anything. 

I don't want to risk dropping £350 odd on a platform that could just be a pain in the Bottom to use and then end up not using it. Of course I could use it without the DSC on and just enjoy finding objects for myself - which I get a lot pleasure doing - but it would would be nice to have the best of both worlds. 

I really desire tracking for when I am looking at Arp, Hickson group galaxies or PN when at really high power, 400x or above. 

Thanks in advance, 
Simon

@Simon128D I found this post on the SkySafari support forum which may be useful as a starting point. Not exactly the same kit but quite similar. You could also post on the thread asking for input if needed.

https://support.simulationcurriculum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360025249014-How-To-Star-Align-Only-One-Time-Using-SkySafari-6-Pro-Sky-Hub-Bluetooth-Digital-Setting-Circle-Watch-House-Dob-On-Equatorial-Platform-Answer-Read-On-