NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Explore Scientific 102 problem

I purchased an Explore Scientific 102 triplet about a year ago but didn't use it for one reason and another until late October. It had massive internal reflection problems which took some time to sort out but I fixed it by using sticky back velvet stuck onto black paper and rolled up and inserted into various parts of the scope including the lens hood - completely fixed. However it also had 'pinched optics'. As informed, I loosened the appropriate screws (not those which held the optics) which was supposed to fix the problem. It did except for the single star 'spike' (to the right in photo) quite obvious in many photos. Any ideas to take this further? To get it fixed will probably cost more than the scope is worth.

Thank you.

Stars.JPG

This looks like something that you won’t be able to sort without expert help. If the scope is in warranty definitely contact explore scientific for help. Otherwise ES Reid who is an optics expert in south England can normally help for a fee.

Hi, thank you for your advice.

As suggested I've emailed Bresser.de - we'll see what happens. I have a sneaky suspicion that it will cost more to fix than it cost. I have no problems whatsoever with my other 3 scopes. I suspect this may have been a 'Friday afternoon job' - the reflections were really terrible. I don't think the image is as good as it should be either. Thank you again. Perhaps a quick smack with a 7lb sledge hammer would do the trick 😬?