NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dave's DiY Observatory - Chapter 2

centroid

Here can be seen as it was in 2002:

The castors and track, on which the roof would roll off.

The Celestron SCT mounted on the top-plate of the pier.

The foam rubber seal (pipe wrap) aronund the pier, where it comes through the obsy floor. There is a 3/4" isolation gap between the pier and the floor.

The finished obsy, as it was in the spring of 2002, with its 8" Celestron SCT, on an EQ5 GEM.

Dave

To be continued:

post-13389-133877360252_thumb.jpg

post-13389-133877360257_thumb.jpg

post-13389-133877360262_thumb.jpg

post-13389-133877360266_thumb.jpg

Dave, can you give us some close ups of the castors and tracks please.

Hmm!, not easy that one, as the Roll-off-Roof went nearly a year ago, as will be seen in the following chapters of this 'thread'.

However, I'll see what I can find among old photos.

Dave

This is the best I can do. Its a 'crop' from another photo, and shows one of the eight castors.

The castors are 40mm Dia black Nylon. They came from B&Q, and are still available.

The 'track' is 30mmx30mm aluminium angle, which is fixed to the top of the obsy sides. with countersunk screws.

This also came from B&Q.

HTH.

Dave

post-13389-133877360273_thumb.jpg

Please forgive the interuption Astroscot, but "Castors" are not really what you should use, as they tend to want to revolve when you change direction. Fixed wheels should be used on RoR, and when properly aligned are perfect. I realise castors may have been used as a general description, so I apologise if you are already aware of the importance of the difference in this case.

Ron.

Archived