NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

LPR Filters for small scopes

John

Hi,

Can anyone offer some advice from practical experiece on an effective LPR filter for smaller scopes. I have a 5inch SCT and an 80mm F5 refractor and I'm interested in improving the views of planetary and emission DSO's (eg: The ring, The owl, M42 , The crab etc) from my moderately light polluted backyard.

I have tried the Orion Skyglow filter which I believe is a broadband filter with my SCT and, frankly, it did not seem to make much, if any, difference so I'm now wondering if narrowband or maybe no filter would be best ?.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks,

John,

North Somerset.

Hi John,

Iam pleased you liked the review a few others on here have bought the filter and seem very happy with it so it's a good move i reakon.

Thanks

James :)

PS:Let us know how you get on with the filter please :lol:

John, the Owl Neb emits some very narrow bands - predominantly OIII - a shade of green but also an H alpha fringe (red). So whilst you are waiting for your LPR filter you could get it to stand out a bit more with a simple blue filter. It doesn't emit any blue at all. With my 8" SCT at mag it shows up at x100-140. It is very faint though, need to be properly dark adapted.

Archived