NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Widefield Thor`s Helmet.

simmo39

This is my first proper test of the Askar 400 with the dedicated FR. The moon was a bit of a pain and the target being so low and between next doors house and garage didnt help. This is 55 x 240s subs taken over 2 nights. Taken with my ASI 2600mc through my Optolong Enhance filter. One problem I had was that the red channel gave some strange blown out bits on the Nebula, not sure that was the moon or just to long an exposure but it was a pain to remove. Had to use a lot of coats of Topaz Denoise and I may have overdone it but as a test of the FR im pleased with the field of view and that the stars at the edge dont look to bad.

51940183148_ac3790fa8e_b.jpg

and the crop

51940181513_34df637125_b.jpg

• Like 9

Welcome to the Askar 400 club, growing by the day. Ive also got the dedicated reducer/flattener and it works well with smaller sensors like my ASI183, but the corners arent so good with a full frame camera. As you have shown, it works well with an APSc sensor.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, juno16 said:

Very nice image. Stars look good too!

Thank you, I think I could do with reducing the amount of stars.

7 hours ago, CCD Imager said:

Welcome to the Askar 400 club, growing by the day. Ive also got the dedicated reducer/flattener and it works well with smaller sensors like my ASI183, but the corners arent so good with a full frame camera. As you have shown, it works well with an APSc sensor.

Hi, Im impressed with how the stars are good at the corners. Had to crop a very little bit due to the dither but luv the wide field.

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Lots to enjoy but the hotspots on the nebula are a mystery...

Olly

Thanks Olly, Not sure how they come about. On my first nights data I could see them forming but when I added the second night it looked like i had clipped the red data, I was wondering if its a thing with the filter.

1 hour ago, The Admiral said:

May I ask, did you find that the back focus needed was the recommended 55mm? One day I'll get to try mine out!

Ian

Hi, I just stuck with the 55mm ( used spacer and filter tray to get 55mm ). I could fine tune a bit more but I dont think its worth the trouble as after dithering I crop a little off the image and that gets rid of the worst stars.

• Thanks 1