SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon, 6th March 2022 (not 2023!🤪)

Had a fairly brief session on the lovely crescent Moon tonight. I mainly just observed, with binoviewers through the FC100DC, but switched to a Leica Zoom for a few smartphone images.

Lovely phase, with the tiny beads of light appearing off the end of the terminator. Petavius main rille was showing very clearly as a fine black line from centre to edge, but I failed to capture it, largely due to poor seeing I guess. The Earthshine was beautiful again tonight, captured in the longer exposure shot.

C2C582F0-CA60-4233-B70F-29032D8BD063.jpeg

0A5F0BF8-541C-4D5C-8640-4867C1F35D9E.jpeg

• Like 5

I had a quick half hour only as I'd promised I'd be in to catch The Ipcress File (brilliant) on ITV. Took the 60CB out with a 10LE and Nagler 3-6 to check the seeing; remarkably steady so brought the Nagler back inside and got the TOEs. I find them much easier to use and to my eyes a much better view. Even with the 2.5 in I felt the 60CB could have taken more but I do not have a Barlow. Anyway I was captivated by the rille in Petavius which I've never seen before and I spent maybe 20 minutes gazing at the southern cusp/horn(?) trying to see the sun rising. I convinced myself I did though maybe just my eyes adapting and I'm not sure if 20 minutes is enough time to see the sun advancing on the surface? Regardless, the little jewels of light were captivating.

Lovely to see your photos as I didn't take any.

Malcolm

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stu said:

I mainly just observed, with binoviewers through the FC100DC

I am buying one of these telescopes....it can see into the future, March 2023?🤣

Nice pics.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Kon said:

I am buying one of these telescopes....it can see into the future, March 2023?🤣

Nice pics.

You know you deserve it Kostas 👍👍🤣🤣

Ahh, just noticed what you meant! DOH! 🤪🤪 Soon to be fixed…

• Haha 1

• Stu changed the title to Moon, 6th March 2022 (not 2023!🤪)
55 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

I had a quick half hour only as I'd promised I'd be in to catch The Ipcress File (brilliant) on ITV. Took the 60CB out with a 10LE and Nagler 3-6 to check the seeing; remarkably steady so brought the Nagler back inside and got the TOEs. I find them much easier to use and to my eyes a much better view. Even with the 2.5 in I felt the 60CB could have taken more but I do not have a Barlow. Anyway I was captivated by the rille in Petavius which I've never seen before and I spent maybe 20 minutes gazing at the southern cusp/horn(?) trying to see the sun rising. I convinced myself I did though maybe just my eyes adapting and I'm not sure if 20 minutes is enough time to see the sun advancing on the surface? Regardless, the little jewels of light were captivating.

Lovely to see your photos as I didn't take any.

Malcolm

Glad you got it Malcolm. Sounds like your seeing was better than mine. I don’t recall seeing that straight rille in Petavius so obviously before, I guess I must have done but it was the first thing to catch my eye last night.

I think it is possible to see changes over relatively short periods, but normally a few hours for it to be noticeable I guess. In theory some should be quite quick though. Watching shadows advance across a crater floor is quite fun.

One more image of the little mountain peaks producing those lovely beads.

DFD660DD-B84B-480E-95C7-CD5AD619FE0C.jpeg

• Like 2