NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can I fix this? (Celestron power board)

Hi,

So, I bought myself a new mount second hand - Celestron Advanced GT/CG5 - with the understanding the power sometimes needed switching on/off a couple of times. I was fine with that as I've just sold an old nexstar frac that did the same. However, I set it up tonight and when I swapped the power supply for another one it seemed to work fine. And then it didn't. One of the pins inside the jack has snapped off. Obviously, it was a problem waiting to happen. But now it doesn't work. Not the seller's fault as it happened when the mount was with me.

I'm a bit annoyed especially as my dad had given me some cash towards it as a birthday gift (I'm not young, he's just a kindly old fella). And I've not even got anyone to be angry at.

But I'd like to fix it if possible. Unfortunately, the mount is old and the part that needs replacing (NXW414) is discontinued and isn't available anywhere. So, my last hope is a physical fix. Can the power jack (in the photo) be replaced by this ebay part? (Also this on Amazon but I don't really need 30) Would it be an solder? I haven't a clue but my kids have got a soldering kit... (Oh. ANd what's that small blue square under the jack?)

Or any other ideas?

PXL_20220224_213514367.jpg

PXL_20220224_213445487.jpg

PXL_20220224_213414594.jpg

• Like 1

Its not 100% clear in the photo but if the connection is broken just by the J7 then I would brighten up the two sides and just re solder. I then would add extra support using a hot glue gun to put a ring of glue around the connector.

I know that is easy for me to say but do you have anyone nearby that is good at soldering? If no heat gun available then epoxy resin would be an alternative

• Like 2

A competent electronic engineer would be able to de-solder the power jack and replace it with an identical part. (A solder-sucker or other tool will be required).  Tomatobro however is suggesting that there is a break in the PCB tracking. A competent engineer would also be able to fix that by some suitable means, eg by repairing the track or bridging it end to end with a piece of wire joining the solder pads.  This could also be an opportunity to replace the not-very-satisfactory  original jack by a better designed part.

Whether you or your kids feel competent to do this is up to you - otherwise seek professional help.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@Cosmic Geoff got in there while I was typing!

These DC connectors are awful. Cheap and nasty. But when mounts are built down to a price.......
In most cases, if I get a connector failure, I forget the original connector and fit something else, even if it is something dangling in line.

The blue plastic is a spacer to get the socket to the desired height.

Given your questions, I'm guessing you don't the right tools and skills to go with them. So you are best avoiding board rework.
No insults intended. It is just that it is very easy to wreck a board if you don't have the tools and experience/skills.
At work we sometimes get asked to fix boards we have manufactured, that an end user has tried to repair. They usually end up in the bin.

As Geoff says, someone with tools and skills can do this easily for you.

• Like 3

The original post does say "..One of the pins inside the jack has snapped off", which I would read as being the centre pin has broken off inside the socket.

The socket size is indeed 5.5mm x 2.1mm so the eBay item listed should be suitable.

A quick internet search for electronic / computer repair shops shows a few in your area, I'm sure they would be happy to replace the socket for you.

Unless of course there are any SGL members near by who have the tools and skills.....?

• Like 2

That board looks real simple so should easily fix.
Are you sure it is the socket that is the only fault ?

You may not want to but you can send me the board and I can at least replace the socket and check the other connections out. I have a multimeter, Oscilloscope (if needed - probably not) and all the soldering equipment. Means you will not have a mount for a week or so but if that helps message me.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 3

I do have several of those sockets which you are welcome to if you want to have a go at it yourself or get somebody local to change I can post today if you want.
I am assuming the 3 pins are the same thing as the original one (i.e one will be ground, one will be Earth and the other 12V  but whether on all sockets the pins are the same order I am not 100% sure, if doing it myself I would check first with a multimeter.

If you do go ahead and do it yourself be careful not to get the solder pads too hot as they can then come away form the board itself, especially on older boards.

1645782882667.thumb.jpg.3ba1f8c3dc1643f3efa2cf8ab3222472.jpg

Steve

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

A kind offer from @teoria_del_big_bang

I didn't offer because it would be a 70 miles or so round trip for the OP, or the same postal delays.
I'm sure someone more local (SGL or not) could do it.
It is after all fairly large through hole parts.

I would tend to agree, I am happy to do it but if it were mine and replacement boards are not available I would not be happy to put it in the post twice.
If it were to get lost then no compensation will get the mount running again.

Steve

• Like 1

Also when you put the replacement socket in it may be a slightly different height so need to ensure that it ends up the same height from the board to the shoulder of the new socket so that when you put it back in the mount you can get it through the hole and secure with the nut and washer (if there is a washer) and it does not put strain on the solder joints otherwise they may fail over time.

Untitled.jpg.7817311e63720a55214893774e3a9596.jpg

Steve

• Like 1

Wow. Thanks for the advice and kind offers. What a helpful crowd, thank you. And no insult taken, Carbon Brush, I know I would risk wrecking things if I tried myself!

I'm about to set off down the road to Potts in Derby (mentioned for locals to nod their heads at - lovely, old-fashioned shop) who should be able to sort me out. Otherwise I'll be in touch with one of you kind people.
Thanks again.

• Like 3

I cannot say for sure what the small blue square under the jack is but my best guess is it is insulation as there will be a connection to one of the pins that is exposed on the underneath of the socket and probably there is a track on the PCB that needs to be isolated from that pin and that blue square is the insulation to do that.

I think ?

Steve

• Like 2