SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is anyone using OnStep as their goto system?

dazzystar

Thanks @fozzybear. My DEC axis belt is much tighter than the RA and I'm getting some noise when slewing but not sure which axis but do have a feeling it's the DEC. Would too tight a belt give a noise do you think? Also, as we  have to extend the RA axis using a coupler to clear the brake arm I can see a little wobble when the pulley is moving. Need to check this as I'm not sure if it's the small rod of metal I have or something else!

8 minutes ago, dazzystar said:

Thanks @fozzybear. My DEC axis belt is much tighter than the RA and I'm getting some noise when slewing but not sure which axis but do have a feeling it's the DEC. Would too tight a belt give a noise do you think? Also, as we  have to extend the RA axis using a coupler to clear the brake arm I can see a little wobble when the pulley is moving. Need to check this as I'm not sure if it's the small rod of metal I have or something else!

maybe use your phone and record the noise and post here to determine if motor or mount noise as In Dec as only move in that axis as the worm gear has a little backlash movement if the same as an EQ5 but the EQ3 I am not OK with it's configuration 

8 hours ago, dazzystar said:

Any good @fozzybear Appears to be a little simpler than OnStep and works with EQMOD which is a huge bonus for me.

I bought mine premade from an SGL member and works fine. Tom the man behind astroeq has stopped manufacture at the onset of Covid the only route is to source one premade second hand or build one with Arduino Mega the schematic is and relevant info is on the website.

The noise is definitely coming from the RA axis area. This has the 6mm to 5mm coupler, pulley and small 5mm rod. I'll record a short video this evening and post it here so you can see / hear for yourself. I'll also try it without the OTA on the mount to see if it's anything to do with the weight.

On 26/02/2022 at 21:27, fozzybear said:

maybe use your phone and record the noise and post here to determine if motor or mount noise as In Dec as only move in that axis as the worm gear has a little backlash movement if the same as an EQ5 but the EQ3 I am not OK with it's configuration 

Here's a short movie of the noise from the RA axis. Any clues as to what it can be? Please excuse the dog barking!

Edited by dazzystar

6 minutes ago, dazzystar said:

Here's a short movie of the noise from the RA axis. Any clues as to what it can be? Please excuse the dog barking!

IMG_4900.MOV

the above IMG 4900.MOV does not seem to want to play ball? get an error  

Sorry!

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

You are slewing at quite a fast rate and to me sounds acceptable no grinding noises apart from the dog who does not like it. Could well be resonance from the belt?

Edited by fozzybear

1 minute ago, fozzybear said:

You are slewing at quite a fast rate and to me sounds acceptable no grinding noises apart from the dog who does not like it. Could well be resonance from the belt?

I did try to re-attach the mov file but failed for me as well don't know why as I selected the file you posted to me and attached to my reply but again failed to open

1 minute ago, fozzybear said:

I did try to re-attach the mov file but failed for me as well don't know why as I selected the file you posted to me and attached to my reply but again failed to open

ah your link now works so maybe a lag on the SGL server maybe needs approval by a mod

Edited by fozzybear

7 minutes ago, dazzystar said:

But the DEC axis is quiet....also, I've noticed that when the RA pulley is moving it looks like something is bent but the small steel rod is straight...any clues?

is the steel rod that's attached to the coupling (is is a ridgid one or a flexible coupling) is the rod keyed (ie a flat on it) or cylindrical. if cylindrical and on the coupling there are 2 grub screws the rod might not be centralised if you understand. And throw it of balance ideally you would mount the large gear directly onto the RA shaft can you not turn the RA gear the other way round of does this provide enough room to attach the belt? also on the motor rotate the pinion gear as well

Edited by fozzybear
added text

6 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

is the steel rod that's attached to the coupling (is is a ridgid one or a flexible coupling) is the rod keyed (ie a flat on it) or cylindrical. if cylindrical and on the coupling there are 2 grub screws the rod might not be centralised if you understand. And throw it of balance ideally you would mount the large gear directly onto the RA shaft can you not turn the RA gear the other way round of does this provide enough room to attach the belt? also on the motor rotate the pinion gear as well

The 5mm steel rod isn't keyed and it's a rigid coupler. I can't mount the gear directly to the RA shaft as it won't clear the locking handle when in motion (known issue with all EQ3 mounts).  The coupler is 20mm in length if that helps. Not sure what else to try as you can see it's hard getting the belt lined up straight.  I'm not sure what you mean by 'can you not turn the RA gear the other way round'

Cheers
Daz

9 minutes ago, dazzystar said:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'can you not turn the RA gear the other way round'

you answered that yourself i think as you quoted " I can't mount the gear directly to the RA shaft as it won't clear the locking handle" On the Dec yes?  So you need clearance as you have the RA gear with the grub screw section facing outwards as opposed to facing inwards 

IMG_4900_Moment.jpg

Edited by fozzybear
spelling

Ah yes!

Also, not sure if this is important but the coupler is a 6mm to 5mm version as the gear has a 5mm bore whereas the DEC axis has a 6mm bore. Don't ask me why it's like that as this was included in the kit supplied by George Cushing.

2 minutes ago, dazzystar said:

Ah yes!

Also, not sure if this is important but the coupler is a 6mm to 5mm version as the gear has a 5mm bore whereas the DEC axis has a 6mm bore. Don't ask me why it's like that as this was included in the kit supplied by George Cushing.

Don't know answer to that maybe ask George and fire off the mov file to him on onstep to have a look, as to me something is not central could be the coupler at fault "tolerance"  and the 5mm rod is a snug fit before tightening the grub screws on the coupler unless there is play in the worm gear on the RA axis ie not parallel on the mount? 

2 minutes ago, dazzystar said:

I sent the video to him as well earlier so hopefully will get a reply later or tomorrow. Not sure why he supplied a 5mm bore pulley for the RA axis and a 6mm for the DEC.

lets hope he can resolve this for you