NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is there anything useable in last nights attempt with my modded DSLR? - Heart & Soul Nebula widefield

Hi all,

Basically, after 2 years of (in my opinion), a lot of success with my stock 4000D and various lenses, i got a modded 1300D for Xmas. 

Frankly, i'm struggling to use it. I consider myself fairly adept at processing, but i cant seem to get anything good with this new camera.

I attempted to image the Double Cluster and H&S Nebulas last night (again) and after initial processing the stacked output, i don't think i captured much nebulosity.

If i share a link to one of my lights, darks and the stack from DSS and Sequator, could anyone take a quick look and see if its worth me spending more time trying to process it?

One thing i realised is that this new DSLR takes far more noisy subs than my 4000D. For all its cheapness and basicness, the 4000D took very clean images, so much so that i rarely needed calibration files. I'm sure those would have improved my final images of course, but my time outside is usually fairly short due to circumstance.

So, ok, now i'm taking darks along with my lights. I'm not so much bothered with vignetting at this point as Pixinsight and other software takes care of that, plus i usually heavily crop my images.

Here is the info for my setup from last night

- Star Adventurer 2i

- Modded 1300D Canon

- SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8 (set at f/2,8)

- 800 ISO

- 119 x 59s subs - Roughly 2 hours total

- 10 darks (I know, i should have taken more, but i didnt have time sadly)

- Bortle 6 location

- Stacked in Sequator and DSS (tried both) and processed in Lightroom, Photoshop and Pixinsight. 

Here are some previews of my stacked images and one of my lights. I know they are very bright, but they usually are and i still got good end results, plus i was imaging towards the vast London light dome last night.

Any advice you fine folk have for me is absolutely greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this long post.

Link to full res files

https://we.tl/t-tJxHNSjqpI

100222_heart_55mm_DSS_01.jpg

100222_heart_55mm_seq_01 copy.jpg

single sub.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MKHACHFE said:

last night (again)

Hi

Phew. Wide field shots with a 70% moon!

The flat frames haven't worked very well. Best to dither between frames and stack with a clipping algorithm. we find Siril the best at this. We find that with the takumar 55 you really need to be f4-f5.6 to control the stars, and with a circular mask, not the aperture blades.

I'd say that considering the light pollution, it's amazing you got anything. Well done.

1_884.jpg.0973eea77c7891a1c954598a4e04ba9b.jpg

• Thanks 1

Yes...yes..i forgot to mention that the moon was fairly close by. Doh! How stupid of me to forget that that probably contributed a lot to my overbright lights.

Thanks for looking at my data, what you got out of it mirrors my own attempt...OK, so it seems that this "failure" is the result of many factors, including, light pollution, moonlight , faint target and too little total exposure time.

Have a good saturday buddy. 

Cheers

The 4000D spec doesn't seem to be any different to the 1300D announced 2 years earlier:

18 Megapixel sensor, DIGIC 4+ processing.

Looks like the "1100/1200/1300 Range" electronics are routinely migrated down into the cheaper "1000/2000/3000/4000 Range" cameras.

So performance should be similar, but Ha response will be enhanced in the modded 1300D.

Michael

Edited by michael8554

On 12/02/2022 at 13:10, michael8554 said:

The 4000D spec doesn't seem to be any different to the 1300D announced 2 years earlier:

18 Megapixel sensor, DIGIC 4+ processing.

Looks like the "1100/1200/1300 Range" electronics are routinely migrated down into the cheaper "1000/2000/3000/4000 Range" cameras.

So performance should be similar, but Ha response will be enhanced in the modded 1300D.

Michael

So would the enhanced Ha response be the reason for the increase in noise, because its not a small increase to be honest. 

Cheers