Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

oacapture not finding Nikon Camera

Hi

I'm trying to get my Nikon D3300 to connect to oacapture on my Raspberry Pi. I'm using the same cable as per usual connectivity for downloading images to my PC etc but its just not being found.

A simple Creative webcam is found ok but not the Nikon so think i may be missing a step.

Has anyone come across this before.

Thanks

I’m not sure that DSLR’s use the same drivers in oaCapture which is based around V4L rather than gphoto that the indi DSLR drivers use. 

You may be able to get it to work, but I couldn’t get a canon DSLR working when it was fine in Ekos…

i'll be honest i'm totally new to Astroberry so feeling my way around the various software very slowly.

21 minutes ago, Elp said:

Have you loaded the camera driver on startup via the equipment profile? I assume you're running astroberry?

How do you do this please?

On the left hand side there should be a floating tab with around 6-7 buttons on it going vertically down the side of the panel. One of them opens a profile wizard, you have to create a new profile and select all the attached equipment you have (mount, cameras etc). There's a checkbox if I remember correctly to say automatically start on startup. Once it's started, all the drivers should be loaded and your equipment should work. Remember when you're finished making the profile to press the save button (disk image), otherwise it won't save and you have to do the process again.

11 minutes ago, catburglar said:

I’m not sure that DSLR’s use the same drivers in oaCapture which is based around V4L rather than gphoto that the indi DSLR drivers use. 

You may be able to get it to work, but I couldn’t get a canon DSLR working when it was fine in Ekos…

Ekos picked my Nikon up first time, thanks for the prompt. No idea how to use the software atm but at least its connected now

Thanks again

16 minutes ago, Elp said:

On the left hand side there should be a floating tab with around 6-7 buttons on it going vertically down the side of the panel. One of them opens a profile wizard, you have to create a new profile and select all the attached equipment you have (mount, cameras etc). There's a checkbox if I remember correctly to say automatically start on startup. Once it's started, all the drivers should be loaded and your equipment should work. Remember when you're finished making the profile to press the save button (disk image), otherwise it won't save and you have to do the process again.

would you believe its not there! was looking yesterday after reading a couple of websites...

However, think the same is now available within the KStars application

I think the floating tab that Elp refers to is shown when you connect to the pi from a web browser if you use a VNC viewer application to connect to the pi then you don’t see it.

Ekos does allow you to automatically load the indi drivers when you start the indi server, but I think you have to start the indi server from the Ekos dialog…but I’ve not got access to my pi setup at present, so I may be missing something.

I’m not sure if you misunderstood my earlier post or if I’m confused by your references to Ekos and the disappearing panel.

Going back to you’re original question - I don’t think oaCapture supports DSLR’s…oaCapture is designed for rapid frame rate image capture using the video for Linux (V4L) driver model whereas Ekos uses the indi drivers which for DSLR’s are based on the gphoto library…

So just because your Nikon is supported in Ekos doesn’t mean it will work in oaCapture…there may be a way to get it working, but I gave up with my old Canon…

The floating / disappearing panel allows you to start the indi server and automatically connect to a camera (and any other device supported by indi) , but it won’t do anything to help with oaCapture - if that’s still what you are trying to do.