Skywatcher 200GTX

I am beyond excited. A friend bought a Skywatcher 200GTX a good few years ago, gave it minimal use and packed it away in its box where it has sat ever since. It is being gifted to me in a couple of weeks and, apart from the model name, I don't know much about the scope. I assume it is the forerunner of the 200P. I am looking forward to recommissioning and using my first 'proper' telescope.

Does anyone know anything about this specific model and how it differs from the current incarnation?

Apart from collimation, what else should I think about when recommissioning a telescope that hasn't been used for many years?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

• Like 1

Congratulations! I'm a bit baffled as to which model this is, is it a dobsonian or an OTA requiring a mount like the Quattro series? when you say "forerunner to the 200P" it would imply it is a dobsonian. A quick google 

search yielded varied results but nothing with a GTX label attached to it, maybe my search criteria was flawed. i'll be watching to see what others post about this scope.

Edited by Sunshine

I must admit I am wondering if I have been given the correct model number. It is definitely a newtonian as I remember going to my friend's house to look at Jupiter when it was first purchased about 10 years ago. I guess the closest model would be an Explorer 200P. 

I will know for sure when it is dropped off in a couple of weeks. Also not sure what mount it is on.

Steve

• Like 1

Ahh ok great! I'm sure you're well charged up about it, I cant wait for you to get it 🤣 first thing anyones eyes would go to is an inspection of the mirror, especially after its been sitting for years.

Edited by Sunshine

I have been looking into buying a scope for months and hovered over the buy button numerous times. I am lucky indeed to be gifted what looks like a very good scope to get me started. I will do a full stock check when it arrives and I am sure I will be back for more advice. 

• Like 1

A reflector like this (but not Skywatcher) was my first 'proper' scope.
Since then scopes have come and gone. But there is always a reflector (or two) around this sort of size in my collection.

A reflector like this easy to sort out using basic tools, if there are problems.
The only caution is to say. Don't do anything to the mirrors without asking.
Mucky mirrors work remarkably well.
They can be cleaned quite easily - if you take care.
They can also be wrecked if you don't use the right techniques when cleaning.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

• Like 1