Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guiding issue

Last night i encountered the most bizarre issue. 

I was polar aligned and good to go so I started guiding on asiair. 

Within a few seconds the stars that it was tracking (with the little green circles) were out of line. It seemed the mount wasn't moving. 

Everything was connected as it should have been. 

I'm using a 60 mm 240 guidescope with asi120mm mini

I managed to capture a screen shot. 

The settings are 

Calibration 2000

Max durations 1000

Screenshot_20220131-194507_ASIAIR.jpg

You may need to increase the gain and the exposure. The stars in your screen shot are hard to see, which makes them hard for the software to follow. 

With 0.5s exposures, you stand the chance of following the seeing, where the software is reacting to movement in the atmosphere, rather than actually following the star movement. Increasing the exposure time to 1-2 seconds will eliminate this. ;) 

I think my ASI120MM Mini normally guides with a gain of about 48 and 2 second exposure, but start by increasing the exposure and see if it makes a difference.

59 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

You may need to increase the gain and the exposure. The stars in your screen shot are hard to see, which makes them hard for the software to follow. 

With 0.5s exposures, you stand the chance of following the seeing, where the software is reacting to movement in the atmosphere, rather than actually following the star movement. Increasing the exposure time to 1-2 seconds will eliminate this. ;) 

I think my ASI120MM Mini normally guides with a gain of about 48 and 2 second exposure, but start by increasing the exposure and see if it makes a difference.

Ok will try it thanks

Okay, you Polar Align at around Dec = 90.

What target was the mount pointing at when you tried guiding ?

Did the mount Calibrate ?

Calibration is where ASIAir moves the mount west a number of steps, then north a number of steps, to understand how far the mount moves for a given step size.

Michael

On 01/02/2022 at 13:31, Budgie1 said:

Agree! Increase gain and exposure times :)

It looks like you may have done a meridian flip after you calibrated. Go into the guide settings and check (or uncheck as the case may be) the "flip" button. It's the top button on the right on your screenshot,  the circle with the crosshairs.