Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Portable Power for my Rig

Peart

Hi so i recently bought a ASI Air plus to scale down wires and stuff and now have my rig the way i want it. I power it from the mains hen at home but i will be looking to go to some dark sky sites in the near future and need a portable power unit. Im currently powering the following.

ASI 294MC Pro

EAF

120mm Mini

One Dew heater USB

HEQ5 Pro

ASI AIr plus

Does anyone have any recommendations on potenital options that are affordable.

Clear Skies :)

Don't know how much your heq5 draws but for a very compact solution I bought a Celestron Lithium LT. Powers my asiair with WiFi extender, azgti, two zwos one which is cooled continuously to minus 10 and it lasts 5-6 hours in the cold. The two dew heaters I power with a separate usb power bank.

I use a Jackery 240 for my portable setup, it comfortably provides power all night to 2 dew heaters, a cooled ccd, guide camera, AzGti, filter wheel, autofocus and a raspberry pi. 

They're not cheap but it's a superb piece of kit, I bought mine for our camper van but it's now been "borrowed". 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jackery-Portable-Explorer-Generator-Outdoors/dp/B08RNPYLQW

Thanks all for the info the jackery power bank looks interesting I didn't know if the 240 would power all my kit and the 500 is so expensive but from what your saying i could power my kit comfortably.

If you're not above a bit of wiring you could do worse than buy a LiFePO4 battery with a built-in battery-management system. Lithium iron phosphate chemistry has significant advantages, especially in number of charge cycles (2X to 10X Li-Ion) and, if you care, much less environmental impact. You can discharge them till they're flat and they come back for more, Li-Ion is much more sensitive in that regard. (Technically it's the BMS that keeps you from killing them, but it's built in.)

I use a 20 Ah ExpertPower and it runs my Pi 4, focus motor, CEM70, and TEC cooler in the 183 for at least a couple nights. Was something like $265. I added some cords I'd cut off power adapters ("wall-warts) that had the appropriate 5.5 x 1.2 and 5.5 x 1.5 barrel connectors, and also wired a cheap fuse holder and a little LCD multimeter into the circuit. Was well within my exceedingly modest DIY abilities.

If you're running a dew heater you'd likely want a bit bigger battery.

20 hours ago, Peart said:

Thanks all for the info the jackery power bank looks interesting I didn't know if the 240 would power all my kit and the 500 is so expensive but from what your saying i could power my kit comfortably.

With the dew heaters at 50% (they could probably go lower) all my kit draws 22 watts, on paper the Jackery should last nearly 11 hours which is about right in my experience.