Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Abell85 - Have I bitten off more than I can chew

Catanonia

I stumbled across Abell 85 whilst searching for targets and a bit more investigation revealed that this is a very challenging target

Images I have seen on the web are usually with narrowband filters, from the desert with good skies and well over 12+ hours integration time.

Full moon last night, Bortle 6 skies, but I have a Rasa8 and lEnhance filter. How difficult can it be........

It turns out VERY after a quick test of 12x 5min subs at bin 2 (to increase SNR) on Rasa8 and ZWO 2600MC Pro

The structure hardly appears even with 5min subs x2 bin on an F2 Rasa. So many stars too make it a real PITA to process. I can see why people use narrowband filters for this target.

But here is what I have for only 12 subs 1 hour with a OSC camera in full moon, so gives me hope I can do better with better conditions. (Didn't concentrate on the processing too much as this was a test)

I will definitely re-try this under better conditions

Attempt1.jpg

Edited by Catanonia
  • Like 7

Well done for trying.... suppose the RASA hoovers up the moonlight as much as the target signal, so good on you for having a go....

Think I'll stay away though with my f/5 and stick with something brighter!

Damian

On 19/01/2022 at 19:02, TakMan said:

Well done for trying.... suppose the RASA hoovers up the moonlight as much as the target signal, so good on you for having a go....

Think I'll stay away though with my f/5 and stick with something brighter!

Damian

Yeah, light is light and the 8 hovers it up big time. The 7nm Ha filter was a failure, it turns out I need a fast Ha filter for the rasa @f2. See my other thread on this.

Edited by Catanonia

Added another 60 or so mins to the image and re-processed. Now about 150mins in 5min 2xbin subs

Not sure if I am going to get anything else out of this. But will add some more next time as it is a good early target in the night for me waiting for main targets to appear.

Abell85 Latest Attempt.jpg

• Like 1