Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Why are globular clusters spherical?

They’re very ancient aren’t they- perhaps they’re just gravitationally clustering ancient wandering stars rather then dark matter enhanced collapsing clouds of active star forming dust and gas? 

Edited by markse68
spelling

I think disks only form if the gas cloud is rotating - there is a paper online at: https://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1976ApJ...210..757S which looks at why globular clusters are spherical.

If a gas cloud forms a star then the star is obviously spherical (neglecting rotation), although any other smaller bodies formed around the star are usually in a disk around the star.

I agree the source gas cloud must be rotating, but 100 trillion rotating galaxies suggest that it is very difficult for gas to collape in our universe without rotating - it takes only the slightest nudge or imbalance to start the spinning. I will look at the paper tonight, thanks for that @iantaylor2uk!

Regarding spherical stars and planets - obviously once the matter starts colliding hydrostatic equilibrium will dominate. But even Earth is slightly flattened... isn't that just a special kind of disk? 🤣

Edited by Ags