Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It's been cloudy for MONTHS, tomorrow night is clear but -20°c....is it ok to image?

Jay6879

My EQM-35 worked as well as it ever worked down to -26c (= not that well). Balancing will be even more difficult than normally since the lubricant gets really stiff, but other than that i doubt you will break anything. Just dont try to bend the cables after the night is done, they get very stiff and you could break them.

The DSLR will work very slowly and drain batteries very quickly, expect to get maybe 30min of exposure per fully charged battery. And also, your power supply for the mount must be high quality in these temperatures. Normal "dumb" powersupplies like batteries that are unregulated will drop below 12V much faster than you'd think so a good power solution is necessary if you want to image for any length of time.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

My EQM-35 worked as well as it ever worked down to -26c (= not that well). Balancing will be even more difficult than normally since the lubricant gets really stiff, but other than that i doubt you will break anything. Just dont try to bend the cables after the night is done, they get very stiff and you could break them.

The DSLR will work very slowly and drain batteries very quickly, expect to get maybe 30min of exposure per fully charged battery. And also, your power supply for the mount must be high quality in these temperatures. Normal "dumb" powersupplies like batteries that are unregulated will drop below 12V much faster than you'd think so a good power solution is necessary if you want to image for any length of time.

I would be using the 12v accessory in my car, dslr would be powered with a 12v to usb step-down like I always have!

23 minutes ago, Jay6879 said:

I would be using the 12v accessory in my car, dslr would be powered with a 12v to usb step-down like I always have!

20210205_003907.thumb.jpg.4805a939a7b900af9a5994470b7cb967.jpg

Like this? 😁 Did this when my battery pack died in 20 minutes.

Had the cable through a gap in the passenger side door drawing power from my center console 12V plug. Engine running to ensure the battery doesnt die on me. Pictures werent good but everything worked just fine.

1 hour ago, Jay6879 said:

Will a dslr, asiair pro or my eqm-35 pro mount be damaged by using them in such bitterly cold temperatures?! I'm itching to get back out and image!

Watch the mount to ensure that it doesnt bind in the cold, any lipo batteried will need to be pre heated and ideally insulated. You dont say what scope you are using but the glass may pinch as such a low temperature. Also think about thermal shock on the glass especially if its flurite.

Adam

Edited by Adam J

I've not used a mount in them temperatures, since I picked up a prosthetic knee a few years ago anything lower than minus 10C is not fun; but have photographed terrestrially in similar previously.  What with the advice about the batteries and cables is good another thing I'd suggest doing is to leave your electronic/photography equipment outside whilst the temperature is higher and let it cool slowly, and then on the other side let it warm up slowly in an unheated environment (garage/outbuilding) or if you do have to bring it in, place it in an airtight box whilst whilst it's out doors and not open it for six to twelve hours after you've brought it in to the warm. 

Just remember to take any memory cards out of the camera before you do as if not they are going to be stuck there until it's warmed through. 

Too fast a transition in temperature (coupled with humidity) can cause condensation to build up, not just externally but internally as well.

Thank you all for the tips! Batteries aren't an issue as everything will run off 12v from my car, but I hadn't thought about the slow cool down and warming back up, especially for the dslr. 

Now let's see just how brave I am tomorrow night..

I have never worried about cooldown quickly, as there is no risk of dew then.  Dewing happens the other way around, when cold things are brought back inside. I have a carrying case where i put all my electronics after a session outside and only open this after about an hour from being back inside. This gives them ample time to warm back up slowly and dew/frost does not get a chance to form on them. Maybe a bit paranoid and overkill, but costs me nothing, unlike the electronics which cost a lot.

fluke-9301-rugged-carrying-case.jpg

• Like 1