Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M44 and Comet Widefield

I tried EP projection on the Comet and got enough pictures to see the Comet move a good distance from the first picture to the last but the stacked picture isn't good, just a fuzzy little patch. I did Prime focus on the Comet and it showed more of a green colour but still nothing great. I thought I would try without the scope and got the Canon on the tripod last night and took a load of 5 second exposures. I was zoomed in as far as I could so had to keep the exposures short so the stars wouldn't trail. The moon was really bright so I didn't think I would get anything. I played with the picture a bit to try see the comet better and reduce the glow from the moon. I stacked on the stars so the trail of the comet is probably just the movement of the comet against the stars but I don't mind that, it looks more like a comet! Its quite faint and just below M44.

Canon 1000D on a tripod, about 250 - 5 secs.

IMG_COMET0001.jpg

Jamie

post-15495-133877359024_thumb.jpg

Well Done Jamie for sticking at it and capturing an image ... it's undoubtedly Lulin under the beehive cluster last nights conditions were far from ideal but these are once in a lifetime events at least for Lulin which IIRC has a period of some 40k years :lol:

Billy....

Archived