Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Attaching Panasonic FZ28 to telescope

Hi all,

What would be the best way for me to attach my Panasonic FZ28 to a refractor? I have a lens adapter that has 55mm front threads. Can I attach it 'prime focus' , or do I have to attach it afocal to the eyepiece?

Presumably a few folks are using FZ28 for astrophotography as DSS supports the camera.

Alan

Alan, I believe that you're only choice is to use it afocally, it's a fixed lens camera isn't it ? It may be you can use some fitting rings to attach it with the filter threads directly to something like a Hyperion eyepiece. The other option, is an adapter, that clamps around the eyepiece and the camera fits to that via the tripod thread. There's a couple of variations, the fixed variety, so the camera is in the way of the ep, or the Baader clickstop that allows you to swing the camera out of the way for visual use, than you can swing it back in again to take the shots.

I would be interested to know if this works. Despite the claims in the glossy brochures I found that the Hyperion 17mm simply did not have enough eye-relief to work afocally with my Olympus camera, once the Baader adapters were fitted.

NigelM

Hmm - I think part of the problem is that the Olympus is a 41mm thread, which no-one seems to make T2 adapters for, so I need an extra 41-43mm converter ring. Although though only an extra 2mm or so in depth, this produces too much vignetting. If I throw the attachment rings away and touch glass to glass, I can see the eyepiece field stop (i.e. no vignetting) - just not very practical!

NigelM

Hi all,

I have now checked the Baader DT rings and the DT-ring SP54/M55 should connect the Hyperion zoom to the 55mm thread of the Panasonic DMW LA3 adapter that I have on my FZ28. Does anyone know if I will be able to achieve focus with this set up?

Alan

Archived