Narrowband

New SHO filters or new camera?

rnobleeddy

Assuming I choose to buy something (there's always an urge!) just wondering if people have opinions on the relative uplift from some new filters vs a new camera?

I currently use a QHY163M (equivalent to ASI1600) with the standard 36mm Baader narrowband filters, listed as 6.5nm bandpass.

Filter wise, upgrade options include the Baader ultra narrowband or Antlia (Astrodon may still be too much £!).

Camera wise, I'd guess I'd be looking at a 2600MM (or QHY equivalent).

I know these kind of decisions are impossible to do scientifically, but I'd love to know if there's a consensus on what would lead to the biggest uplift?

I am using my ASI1600 with the original ZWO filters. Despite some of the usual issues with this combination the limiting factor is still me. Personally, I would go for the larger field of view - especially as you are already using  the 36mm filters. I have the 31mm and I think I would need to replace the filters and the camera to use the larger sensor - although as yet I have not checked. You could go mad and get a colour camera and then you have 2 imaging rigs!

• Like 1