Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EXOS GOTO Mount

betamaxman

I have owned a vintage celestron c8 since it was new bought it in 1973. Anyway came across this mount at the local pawn/thrift shop for a super low price of only $225. Looks identical to this one on aliexpress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003169019523.html?ug_edm_item_id=1005003169019523&edm_click_module=alg_product_2_4757820590&creative_img_ind=14&tracelog=rowan&rowan_id1=aeug_edm_29026_1_en_US_2021-12-27&rowan_msg_id=betaCOWS_29026_$75c72068c74146fe9201e6d818b6a118&ck=in_edm_other
This is the controller unit and bresser is the name that shows up on the screen when it is activated.
https://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/BRESSER-StarTracker-GoTo-Set.html
I have it setup  without an OTA or counterweight as I only wanted to see how the controls work. However when ever I select an object to view I get an error that no telescope is connected. This mount came with two hand units oddly and doesn't have the battery pack shown in the aliexpress page for the mount I linked too.

The photo is that of the mount head, I think a dovetail should fit, any imput is appreciated, the two sides are parallel my phones camera just has it looking that way for some reason.

I haven't found any other GOTO telescope/mount packages that show a telescope ota connected via wired to any of their mounts. Is there something I am missing. I have been an observer with my c8 for many years but I have never used a goto telescope before but I thought it would be pretty straight forward. I know I have to find a dove tail to fit this mount and my older C8 OTA but is it not possible to use a goto mount with any ota? Any help is appreciated, will this only work with a proprietary telescope? Thanks

Mount head.jpg

12 hours ago, betamaxman said:

However when ever I select an object to view I get an error that no telescope is connected.

Some brands have the same handset for a range of mounts and OTA's, if so, have you selected the correct mount in the menus, and the OTA focal length if required ? 

I assume the two cables, from the RA and Dec drives, are attached ?

What kind of power supply are you using ?

Or maybe the super low price was because the mount is faulty ?

Michael

A quick google and it would seem it uses the BRESSER GOTO SYSTEM EXOS EQ v2.3

If the handset is displaying a "no response" message that means it can not establish communication with the motor control board.  This can be anything form a damaged cable between the handset and controller, through to a blown motor board.  The cable can be checked using a cheap multimeter, as can the power running to the mount.  If the cable continuity checks out and you are using a power supply of suitable specification as recommended in the manual but you still get the error, then chances are the issue is with the motor control board.  Replacements may be available, bur based on replacement Skywatcher boards, are normally around half the price of a complete new goto kit.

I have the Bresser exos2 goto. Make sure the cables are connected as in the picture.

Also do you have a power source with enough amps?

Please post a picture with complete mount and everything you got with it. Thanks

Screenshot_20220103-172237_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Thanks for the help guys and I apologize for the late response. Yes Cosmic Geoff the manual does help and thanks that is my unit. And yes chrobakx the cables were incorrect though how they were when I received the unit. I took the counter weight off and managed to get it to go to where it thought jupiter was and it seemed to be tracking what it thought was jupiter (I don't have my vintage C8 connected yet need a dove tail) as the mount wasn't set up equatorially. Anyway please forgive I was into observing many years ago and sort of drifted away. Bought my C8 and equatorial wedge in 1973 when I was 15. My brother made ma a solid one piece tripod when he was in welding class. Never got rid of the C8 and the itch is rekindled. Saw this mount and tripod in a pawn shop for $200 CAN and thought it a good buy. I do need a dovetail for my celestron and the mount is missing a polar alignment finder as you can see in the picture. The orifice is 26mm or 1". Was looking at polar tools but there are no specs on the diameter of the objective end of the finder. And it almost looks like there is part of a finder in the polar axis as the metal degree ring and three set screw portion seem present on many of the polar finders I have found as this one. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000678437802.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000014.2.636f6386g9Wq7p&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.33416.213724.0&scm_id=1007.33416.213724.0&scm-url=1007.33416.213724.0&pvid=6b7c3795-ebb1-41ca-b13d-d0b70d3c0303&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller,scm-url:1007.33416.213724.0,pvid:6b7c3795-ebb1-41ca-b13d-d0b70d3c0303,tpp_buckets:668%232846%238111%231996&&pdp_ext_f={"sceneId":"23416","sku_id":"10000005837736513"}&compareFields=formatted_price:C$ 55.97;itemId:4000678437802;freight_formatted_price:null;source:recommend-ump;is_freeshipping:null;trade_order:17 If anyone can suggest a dove tail that will fit the mounting head and a polar alignment scope I would appreciate it. I am familure with the sky and can find most objects visually, but it would ne neat to be a little more modern. Thanks again to all of you. I am telescope familiar but verry new to these motorized mounts. Again thanks.

Mount polar axis.jpg

Edited by betamaxman

It came with a 12v 2 amp ac power supply michael8554, no battery pack, but I plan to use a cheap automotive battery and a power inverter with the power supply for out in the field.

It did come with two hand devices one seems older than the other, and the software a little bit different though similar. Most notably in country city selection, but both show bresser upon startup. I take it the computing electronics are in the hand devices? The one on the right is the newer unit.

Also with the proper cabling is it possible to also connect the handhelds to a loptop running stellarium as I have seen some other goto devices doing?

Again going by the picture in the above post and the aliexpress link, is part of the polar axis finder in the mount with part missing or is there one that will fit in there?

Hand devices.jpg

Edited by betamaxman

14 minutes ago, betamaxman said:

It came with a 12v 2 amp ac power supply michael8554, no battery pack, but I plan to use a cheap automotive battery and a power inverter with the power supply for out in the field.

It did come with two hand devices one seems older than the other, and the software a little bit different though similar. Most notably in country city selection, but both show bresser upon startup. I take it the computing electronics are in the hand devices? The one on the right is the newer unit.

Also with the proper cabling is it possible to also connect the handhelds to a loptop running stellarium as I have seen some other goto devices doing?

Again going by the picture in the above post and the aliexpress link, is part of the polar axis finder in the mount with part missing or is there one that will fit in there?

Hand devices.jpg

Honestly don't bother with the polar scope, if you can use guide scope and sharpcap for polar alignment, very quick and easy.

Regarding the controlling mount with the laptop, you have to check wether you have a 2.3 firmware. If yes then you'll need the Ascom driver(very basic) and USB cable.

I can use the Carte du ciel for control.

Edit

Here is the link for the cable. https://astro-gadget.net/gadgets/cables/exos2-gt-rj9-usb-pc-interface-cable-3m-for-bresser-exos-2-goto-eq-mount

If you have 2.2 firmware, then you better buy the Bresser cable and update the firmware first

https://www.bresseruk.com/BRESSER-Computer-Cable-for-Remote-Control-of-MCX-Goto-Telescopes-and-EXOS-II-EQ-Goto-Mounts.html

Edited by chrobakx

9 hours ago, chrobakx said:

Honestly don't bother with the polar scope, if you can use guide scope and sharpcap for polar alignment, very quick and easy.

Regarding the controlling mount with the laptop, you have to check wether you have a 2.3 firmware. If yes then you'll need the Ascom driver(very basic) and USB cable.

I can use the Carte du ciel for control.

Edit

Here is the link for the cable. https://astro-gadget.net/gadgets/cables/exos2-gt-rj9-usb-pc-interface-cable-3m-for-bresser-exos-2-goto-eq-mount

If you have 2.2 firmware, then you better buy the Bresser cable and update the firmware first

https://www.bresseruk.com/BRESSER-Computer-Cable-for-Remote-Control-of-MCX-Goto-Telescopes-and-EXOS-II-EQ-Goto-Mounts.html

Thanks, ya thought of doing the polar setup the old fashion way but if I want to do some photography?