Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Adjustments to EQ2 Mounts

I have just acquired a used Synta EQ2 mount to use with my Skywatcher ST80.

The mount is in excellent condition (practically unused) and it all seems to work ok. The only problem I have found is with the slow motion control to the RA axis which seems very stiff. It seems to be a worm and wheel type setup - does anyone know if the tension between the worm and wheel is adustable and if so how to do it ?. The motion around the RA axis seems smooth enough when the clamp is undone so I'm assuming that the issue is with the worm and wheel.

Any help, or links to help, much appreciated.

Thanks,

John,

North Somerset.

Hi Jahmanson.

I have an EQ2 mount also.The only time my RA control becomes stiff,is after continuous use.

Slacken off the clutch knob,&turn the RA cable anti clock wise, until the thread that the cable is attached to is about 1/2 inch 3/4 visible.

It's just like turning a screw into timber, once tight you can't tighten any more.

Hope my round about explanation helps.

Mick. :lol:

Hi Mick,

Thanks for this advice. Having had another look at the mount I think your advice would work fine for the DEC axis slow motion which looks like one of those tangent arm types with a limited degree of travel before you have to reset it. The RA seems to be driven by a continuous toothed wheel within a plastic cover - it looks as if you can go on turning the slo mo knob indefinately - the axis would just keep rotating - it this how you mount is designed too ?. It's this motion that seems very stiff at the moment.

John,

North Somerset

Archived