NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good 2x Barlow (lightweight)

bomberbaz

Some may know I recently sold my 2 x powermate, partially down to weight and length issues.

I replaced lengths lost with a 8mm delos and 7mm pentax xw. 

Now I am realising I still have gaps in the set but they are not going to be a regular used size so don't really want to add premium glass and so was considering a lower costing Barlow but weight is still a consideration.

Alternatively my frac case has a couple of lower costing EP's (BST & Svbony) along with a 1.25" / 2x ES focal extender I can take if high powered viewing in planned but just thinking things through.

I did think about this one from FLO > stellalyra which is roughly 70% the size of the recently sold PM

Anybody got any other ideas on what I can possibly get that is 2" and x 2. 

That looks like a re-badged GSO, and would be a good choice for an inexpensive Barlow.

It also has the advantage of being able to have its lens unthreaded and attached directly to a 2" eyepiece or 2"/1.25" adapter for 1.5X magnification.

The 2" 2X Explore Scientific would not solve your issues of weight and length.

I have a 2" x2 I got from RVO many years ago. It works just fine, though, I detect a little vignetting with the 42mm LVW. As I have a 22mm the Barlow is a bit pointless at the moment. I bought it for use the the 22mm and 17mm T4 Naglers I used to have - worked great with those.

995156063_D72_8335_DxO1024.jpg.dd7af2be7c13d21aafc2164bc1f48af8.jpg

That was a 2" Barlow with an ED glass lens from Barsta and sold under many many labels  (Knight Owl, Olivon, etc.).

It was one of the first Barlows in 2" that I saw that had a removable lens that could be threaded elsewhere.

You could use it on the bottom of the eyepiece (1.5x), in its own tube (2X), on the front of the 2" star diagonal (2.6x) or in its own tube in front of the star diagonal (~3x)

And, of course, threaded to the bottom of a 2"/1.25" adapter for 1.5-1.6x with 1.25" eyepieces.

I agree, it was a good lens.  I haven't seen them for a while.  I wonder if they're being sold under other labels.

I have given this more thought and I  have come to the conclusion that the added weight and length makes a 2" barlow, powermate etc just too difficult to work with so I will use what I have.

So my answer to the problem is to use other eyepiece I already have, not premium but reasonable glass as already mentioned and a 1.25" ES focal extender. 

The magnifications I am looking at are x280 to x 450, so not a regular used one and for objects such as quasars, planetary moons, very high moon work and other very dim objects which in the main are pin points of light. So as long as the centre of the eyepiece is tidy, then all is good.

Glad i made this post as it helped me come to a realisation of what is best rather than simply pushing the buy button on the 2" barlow and finding regret creeping in.

Thanks anyway people.

20 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

That was a 2" Barlow with an ED glass lens from Barsta and sold under many many labels  (Knight Owl, Olivon, etc.).

It was one of the first Barlows in 2" that I saw that had a removable lens that could be threaded elsewhere.

You could use it on the bottom of the eyepiece (1.5x), in its own tube (2X), on the front of the 2" star diagonal (2.6x) or in its own tube in front of the star diagonal (~3x)

And, of course, threaded to the bottom of a 2"/1.25" adapter for 1.5-1.6x with 1.25" eyepieces.

I agree, it was a good lens.  I haven't seen them for a while.  I wonder if they're being sold under other labels.

Looks like it's still being sold, assuming this is the same lens.

I don't know what your price range is, but I have an Orion 4 element 2 inch 2x Barlow on the way now.  It comes with and adapter that allows the use of 1.25" eyepieces as well.  If it works as well as the 3x 1.25" model, I am going to be very happy the next time I get out.

It is probably too heavy for you, but this is the Orion 2x 4 element Barlow.  It is a great piece of glass that works will with my stuff.  

IMG_20220103_090704_01.jpg