SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

HEQ5 Pro fettling…..

Hi all. I’ve recently bought an HEQ5 Pro, with the Rowan belt mod.  The problem is that both the RA and DEC axis are quite stiff. It’s impossible to balance the load out properly because, unless it is crazily biased at either end, it just sits there.  Consequently, I have to guess the balance point more by how much pressure I have to apply to get it moving.  I know that the problem’s not unique to me, but just wondered where I could find the best guide to freeing things up a bit? 

Thanks each.  I’ll have a look at them both, and figure out who’s approach is the most understandable. I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so something along the lines of the Janet and John books would be just about perfect 😃. Much appreciated. 

I cannot say for certain but I bet it is just the taper bearings that have too much pre-load that is making the axes stiff.
Unless something else is badly wrong there is not much in there that could make the axis stiff.
There is one of these tapered roller bearings in in both the DEC and RA axis. 
image.png.bc3a6040c3ccfc16010fcd213464598a.png

The more the nut that keeps these in place is tightened then the taper gets forced into an internal taper in the outer ring and so becomes wedged.
As explained in the Astro Baby guide these really do need tightening not much more than hand tight. 
This is really important for a free spinning axes, they need tightening enough to stop any end play but not so much it affects the spinning of either axis.

The good news is you can check this without a full strip down.

Another possibility is that the clutches, or locking levers, are set wrong and are still binding a bit when unlocked but again this should be easy to check without a full strip down.
Unless you are wanting to fully strip down and check everything I would be tempted to check these things out first. 

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang

Thanks Steve. That is most helpful.  The over-tightened taper bearing theory seems a strong possibility, as it does feel like  it just needs something backing off inside.   Although I’ll wait until after Xmas before I go upsetting myself by breaking anything 😂

Much appreciated 🙂