Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cloud Sensor Evo Plus One?

t50ufo

Hi all - I was intrigued by an old Topic from 2015 on this Forum - a DIY Cloud and Rain Sensor with ASCOM support.

I know it may be a bit ironic given the current terrible UK winter weather and endless cloudy nights!

I would love to replicate/update this project. Be great to update the project and perhaps use a Capacitive Rain Sensor?

I do love a DIY project but I have very little knowledge on the software side but can follow instructions!

Personally I would love to use with NINA as it features a Safety Monitor and Dome/Roof control. Commercial units are still quite expensive!

Wonder if any of the original contributors etc. would be willing to update or help with an Evo Plus version (or a clone) - I know there are some pretty smart guys out there!

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply.

That is quite a project! I will have a good look over. There seems to be a lot going on there!

Having spent the last part of Summer updating observatory with new roof and motor, new computer and camera. I would just like to complete the automation with a cloud/rain sensor, probably more for rain!

I see you were following the original postings and got stuck too - funny I was the same - could not get anything recognised. How did you progress? Do you now have a unit for Safety Monitoring?

I was recently inspired by the video on YouTube - Joe’s Astrophoto and Glenn (Astrobloke) and their take on the SkyRoof Control. I managed to get that to work but my quest continues for the sensors - I would still like to have a reliable cloud/rain sensor to close roof when unattended.

I found a post on Cloudy nights for an ASCOM Rain sensor using the RG-11 rain sensor. As it has a built in switch, this project should also be able to use an M152K Capacitive Rain Sensor also having a built in switch. Now if I could find a way to include a Cloud sensor to this project and work with NINA, I think that would be enough for me.

Plan B would be to go the commercial route HiTech Astro (No 64 bit drivers! till early spring 22) or AAG unit - both are a bit expensive but want to give the DIY approach a go first!

Trev