NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter?

Hi all,

When will the next good opportunity to observe Jupiter be? And where about in the sky will it be found?

I'm told that at the moment it can be seen low on the horizon just before dawn... which means I've got no chance due to all the houses blocking my view.

Many thanks,

Hi ya,

If we ignore the relatively small movement of Jupiter through the constellations for the moment.

Jupiter will rise 2 hours earlier every calander month, so it rises around 5:15 am today. So Apr 4th = 3am, May 4th = 1am, June 4th 11pm, Aug 4th 9pm.

So really by August it should be visible through most of the night.

But the further north you are, the harder it is to see and there will be slight alterations to those times as Jupiter moves eastward through the constellations.

But the above will be roughly right off the top of my head.

Jupiter is quite low in the sky this year, this will improve each year till aound 2011 at which time it'll be nice and high in the northern sky!

Ant

Archived