SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A shark in muddy waters

tomato

This is 58 x 3 mins with the RASA8/QHY268c of LDN1235. Looking at other images of this object with way more integration, my background looks a lot more cruddy, so I don't believe it's genuine dust. Still, I continue to be amazed at what this combination can capture with relatively short integration times from a Bortle 5/6 sky.

And will I ever get the framing right? I actually like this orientation, it just needs  some nebulosity at the top of the screen to resemble a hapless bather...

LDN1235_RASA8_RGB_58x3mins-NBZ-session_1-mod-lpc-cbg.thumb.jpg.ac6ae7165b343ca271efd8f8f070b8d4.jpg

• Like 15

What really impresses me with this image is that you have managed to display so much dust despite your light pollution.  Your skies are probably similar to mine and I never even bother trying to image targets like this.  Perhaps I need a rethink.  

Well done indeed!

• Thanks 1

I got another 3 hrs in on Monday night so this over 6 hrs with the RASA8/QHY268c. I repositioned the nebula in the FOV to get more of the tail, so there is an overlap now on the top and bottom of the image, which I tried to control in processing. APP's LNC and MBB were on 8th LNC, 8 iterations and 7% respectively to get the smoothest result.

As you can see I am struggling to control the bright stars in the image. I use Starnet in PI but it leaves big halos behind, I understand StarXterminator does a better job on this?

Image12W.thumb.jpg.3e68bffe72b14018a39c00f56e3747dc.jpg

• Like 4