Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pisces Doubles & An Ice Giant

cloudsweeper

Since it was unusually clear, I started at 5.00pm, Wednesday, using the AR102S frac on GoTo, aligning on Jupiter (in south).

Σ3009 Psc – 6th and 8th mags, 7.3” separation.  GoTo spot on.  From “locating mag” (x17) to x100, I got the split, though still close, with the faint secondary at 8 o’clock.

Σ3031 Psc – 7th and 8th mags, 15”.  Not in handset, so got to it via 1 Psc.  Just split at x17, clearer at x40 (though still close), fainter sec. at 11 o’clock. 

65 Psc – perfectly matched pair at mag 6.3, 4.4”  This physical double is not in CDSA.  Good split at x100, though still close, lovely matched pair in a busy field, sec. at 11 o’clock.

Seeing was poor – Jupiter was not good above x100.  I decided to finish with a look at Neptune since it was not far from where I was looking.  At x17, it was clear, although quite faint amongst a field of stars of similar magnitude.

GoTo makes locating and observing so much easier, but using this frac on the 8SE's GoTo means I can't aim high of course.

In for a meal after 75 minutes.  A very pleasant aperitif!  

Doug.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Nice one Doug unfortunately I could not set up had a bad fall Saturday and cannot carry anything jarred my shoulder bracing myself when I went down backwards on some steps.

Thanks Paul - I've done well recently: planets, doubles, and clusters, with a variety of 'scopes.  Can be heavy work though, also cold!

Sorry to hear you've had a fall - hope you're back in action shortly.  Take care!

Doug.

• Thanks 1