SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Power needs....

Hi, I need to sort power for my set up. This will be a Pegasus focus cube, Zwo 1600 mm cool, Beelink T34 mini pc, plus the NEQ6. I'm considering a Powerpole distribution box from Dew control, Sawston, Cambs. and a Pro-Peak 13.8v 20 amp power supply. My question really concerns voltage. Will the 13.8 voltage supply do irreparable damage to equipment? It's just that I've heard that it'll be ok but I'd just like to be sure. Plus any comments on the power supply in general will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

P. 

To me, the Pro Peak is an unknown beast and seems low cost for the watts provided.
You are connecting it to very expensive astronomy kit.
Kit that far exceeds the cost of the power supply, and can be expensively damaged by power supply 'events'.

My comment is that you should buy a power supply that an astro retailer sells, and has sold for a while.
I'm sure that if a retailer had reports of cameras misbehaving, or even smoking, he would soon discontinue the power source.

Just my thoughts,

David.

• Like 1

I have used two of the power supplies that you mention - the previous version and the current version (no pun intended!) for many years now with out any issues at all.

The output voltage is the same as a fully charged 12v leisure battery and almost everything astro is designed to cope with that voltage but check first. Some items like Skywatcher mounts almost demand the slightly higher voltage.

The current model is what I used to power my observatory before I sick of power cuts and decided to run it from two leisure batteries and a permanently on charger. 

• Like 1

12V for appliances is just a naming scheme, the voltage ideally would be close to 14V in many cases, so no you cannot damage your stuff with that! 13.8V is pretty much ideal for 12V electronics 👍. You would probably not want to go much over 14V though, and definitely not close to 15V as this could start damaging sensitive electronics although still quite unlikely for short periods of time.

If a car battery reads 12V with the engine running you should change it immediately as it will die very soon, car batteries with the engine running are right around 13.8V with a good condition battery in warm conditions. Like car batteries and other appliances with "12V" in mind a voltage of over 13V would be desirable. In this way the 12V naming scheme really means "do not go under 12V".

• Like 1

Good advice from the above.
My reservations were about not knowing the brand and how well it performs in actual service..
But @Skipper Billy has history.

As an example of my reservations, some supplies give momentary surges or dips in voltage if the load changes rapidly.
This can happen when a large dew heater switches on/off from a controller.

13.8V unloaded is spot on. When load is applied on some supplies the voltage will drop. As long as it stays above 12V everything should work fine. Highest load, obviously, will be drawn when everything is on, especially when your mount is slewing on both axes (slewing to target or parking). 

My setup is similar to yours with a HEQ5, ASI1600, focuser, filter wheel, 2x dew straps etc. Total power draw rarely goes above 3A, but I had a 10A power block that couldn't maintain voltage above 12V. Very strange things started to happen - so much so that now I consider that those real head-scratcher problems are very likely to be power-related.

I now use a Nevada Radio 30A supply, and it's rock-solid. There's a single cable from there to a Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox Advance which distributes power to mount, camera and dew straps. Your Mini PC is an added complication and I believe they can draw a lot of current.

• Like 1