Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First attempts at a homemade tripod

drofos

There has been a fair hiatus since I last worked on the tripod thanks to Xmas, holidays and finally Covid but I am pleased to announce that it is finally finished. 

DSC_4467.thumb.JPG.15329c9263fe74a7fa0de4cff5d164c4.JPGDSC_4468.thumb.JPG.eace85d82379df3b65f7f36a2e652694.JPG

Since the last update, I have focussed on addressing increasing rigidity by built a hub with spreader limbs hinged and lockable at both the leg and hub sides. The hub slides up /down the central shaft when opening or closing the tripod. At the leg side, the hinged  articulation is comprised of a little cart like device that slides in a large t-track routed into the back of the moving central leg element. This again is lockable in position and allows variation in how wide the legs can go. 

DSC_4470.thumb.JPG.777a16d2fa57bff619dd4611c3f9c824.JPGDSC_4471.thumb.JPG.3f0763d270fe5efc1ada9efe86927c8f.JPG

I had hoped that routing out the large t-track in the legs would cut some weight...it probably did but it remains a fair monster tripod weighing in at a svelt 27kg (including the Giro Ercole alt-az mount). Definitely not overly portable, but that was never really the intention from the outset. For scale, the dowel rods for the spreader are 30mm diameter. 

My plan was to have a tripod that will be as rigid/stable as possible...and make it myself. Although the spreader can be locked out at any angle and therefore the leg angle is infinitely changeable, ideally they go a fair bit wider than a lot of off the shelf tripods to maximise lateral/horizontal stability. The hub locks against a socket like attachment at the bottom of the shaft. The plan is to have a removeable and extendable walking pole that locks into the bottom and essentially converts the whole set up into a 4 legged tripod or quadpod and maximising vertical rigidity. DSC_4469.thumb.JPG.df7057229dfef7fa401aab1c20f43ef6.JPG

As you can see even when in the collapsed leg position, the footprint is fairly massive but it is solid as a rock even without the removeable extendable centre pole. 

As a test before I put anything expensive on the top it needed a solid test and I am pleased to report it passed with flying colours in that it can withstand my weight (85kg) without any significant signs of strain or flex but I guess this should be expected given the legs are comprised of about 20kg of solid ash. 

DSC_4472.thumb.JPG.44c12fc6f3d05cdffc4c71afa44e65ad.JPG

Demonstration of the potential height. Here the legs are extended about 75% of their maximum. Legs are not spread as wide as it could go, but the alt/az mount is at 1.9m. I like the idea of being able to use a reasonable sized refractor straight through without sitting on the floor or bending down too much. 

Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out. It took longer than I had planned, is massively heavy and probably not as ergonomic as a bought tripod although is immensely stable, will take any scope that I am likely to ever own (probably all at the same time) and is open to adaptation if ever the need arises. Plus, as it was made from a solid (although fairly large) ash board and random bits of mild steel (I bought the feet...and the mount), it was considerably cheaper than a bought alternative. 

Just looking at the pictures, I have noticed I am yet to paint a couple of screws!!!

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Clearly you do not understand DIY. Wrong tools and materials used to botch something together that is vaguely fit for purpose🤣

What you have made is a work of art to be proud of. I am suitably impressed and jealous of your skills.