NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First M45 of the 2021 season

rodrigol

Hi,

This is my first M45 of the 2021 winter season. The weather has been very poor and clear nights are few. However, they are clear, which is a huge 🙂
This was taken with an Esprit 120 w/ 0.7FR + ASI071MCPro and Altair Quad. (60x 120s Lights and corresponding calibration frames for darks. Flats and bias too). Processed using PI only.

IRT the Quad - Can anyone recommend another filter for reflection nebula? I think the quad is eating the nebulosity.

Thanks!

masterLight_BIN-1_EXPOSURE-120.00s_FILTER-NoFilter_RGB_RA.thumb.png.3cd4608b28bd5fd54470ac276e698a4c.png

Edited by rodrigol

Despite the "Quad" you have some very nice nebulosity there.  It also looks like the filter is generating some star halos.  Whilst these filters will certainly reduce light pollution they will also cut out a lot of genuine signal.  Marketing these as LP filters seems a bit disingenuous, since they are really emission nebula filters for OSC cameras.  I have an IDAS LPS-D3 filter which blocks common wavelengths associated with LED lighting which possibly helps although I'm not entirely convinced.  It would be interesting to get some non filtered data ad compare.