Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Question re AZ-EQ5

Nicola Fletcher

Hi all,

I just took delivery of a new AZ-EQ5 GT mount and set it up. It looks like a very nice, solid, well built mount and I want to use it primarily for visual with my refractors.

I have one small issue - I have a Celestron lithium powerbank that uses a fairly straightforward cable that plugs into the powerbank and there is an identical port on my EQM-35 Pro that I can use to power the mount. I’ve taken a photo of the two plugs on the cable that came with the powerbank (first photo).

The AZ-EQ5 comes with a cable with a specific plug on one end that fits into the power port on the mount, with a cigarette lighter plug on the other end (second photo). The powerbank doesn’t have a cigarette lighter port on it though, and I don’t have anything else that I can plug it into apart from my car! My question is whether there is a cable that I can get to connect the mount to the powerbank - and what is the name of the port that’s used to power the AZ-EQ5?  Is there another solution apart from buying another powerbank?

Thankfully we have heavy cloud tonight as i’d be so disappointed if I couldn’t use the new mount if it was clear!

Thank you very much in advance.

5F491F09-5D6A-4E7D-8719-21A81DFF8C30.jpeg

79DC8934-EE5B-408D-A54B-BC7C09419B2F.jpeg

I'm not sure of the name of the plug that fits into the AZ-EQ5, but I have some spare ones. I have an AZ-EQ6 which has the same plug, and I had the same problem, hence me ordering more! I now have 2 or 3 leads each with the AZ-EQxx plug at one end, and different connectors at the other. When I ordered the extra ones, from AliExpress or similar, I vaguely recall 5 being the minimum order.

The upshot is, if you want a couple of extra ones, and don't mind doing a bit of soldering to attach them to leads, I'll happily post them to you, and even more happily, I'm in Ireland myself (Baltimore, West Cork) so no customs forms to get wrong. No charge, I'm happy to help a fellow astronomer.

PM me if that's of interest.

Cheers, Magnus

• Thanks 1