NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Re-purposing An Old Tripod For Modern Mount?

Ian McCallum

I've got this old tripod that's been used with a Meade 114-900 and EQ-1B mount, so it's over 20 years old. 

The hole that the mount sits in is about 26mm in diameter. The height of the tripod fully extended to the base of the mount is about 4 ft. Collapsed, the tripod is 2 ft 3 in high. It's aluminium and is light to carry, but doesn't feel lightweight. 

My question is can it be re-purposed for a more modern mount, say for a decent sized refractor? 🤔

20211103_112308.jpg

20211103_112316.jpg

20211103_112206.jpg

20211103_112213.jpg

You mean, repurposed without too much engineering effort? It could certainly be re-used for something, possibly by making up an adaptor.

However, a larger refractor will probably require a more substantial mount - even my vintage 70mm brass refractor required an AZ-4 steel-legged (q.v.)

And moderm mounts generally come with a tripod included, and the included value of even a tripod like that used under the AZ-5 and EQ-5 mount is qiote low.  A flat-topped version of the EQ-5 tripod sells for a little over £100.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

You mean, repurposed without too much engineering effort? It could certainly be re-used for something, possibly by making up an adaptor.

However, a larger refractor will probably require a more substantial mount - even my vintage 70mm brass refractor required an AZ-4 steel-legged (q.v.)

And moderm mounts generally come with a tripod included, and the included value of even a tripod like that used under the AZ-5 and EQ-5 mount is qiote low.  A flat-topped version of the EQ-5 tripod sells for a little over £100.

I had a feeling that would be the case.🙄

What mount and OTA are you thinking of putting on it?

Below image showing are two ‘Giro’ type alt-az mounts that I use with SkyWatcher aluminium tripod for the EQ3/2. Sometimes, if I am really lazy, I will attach them to my Manfrotto tripod.

IMG_0580.thumb.JPG.fc6f227bf7e974dd59c6c96ea3f25fe2.JPG 

For added stability, low CofG, wide footprint, etc., I only extend the top of the bottom leg so it is roughly inline with the spreader and/or accessory tray or not at all if seated.

Both mounts carry a combination of a TeleVue Ranger, a ‘re-modded’ ETX-105’ or Celestron C6/SCT. It does vibrate a little… [until I get a Berlebach].

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

On 03/11/2021 at 12:22, Philip R said:

What mount and OTA are you thinking of putting on it?

Below image showing are two ‘Giro’ type alt-az mounts that I use with SkyWatcher aluminium tripod for the EQ3/2. Sometimes, if I am really lazy I will attach them to my Manfrotto tripod.

IMG_0580.thumb.JPG.fc6f227bf7e974dd59c6c96ea3f25fe2.JPG 

For added stability and wide footprint I only extend the top of the bottom leg so it is roughly inline with the spreader and/or accessory tray or not at all if seated.

Both mounts carry a combination of a TeleVue Ranger, a ‘re-modded’ ETX-105’ or Celestron C6/SCT. It does vibrate a little… [until I get a Berlebach].

I'd probably want to fit a mount capable of holding a 120mm refractor or similar.  Mount wise, I'm not sure - either GEM or AltAz, as long as it can take the weight.  It's for visual observing only, so no astrophotography.

Edited by Ian McCallum
typo