NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ES 127 ED

Hi all

My new scope turned up yesterday and I am realising I have no idea how to set it up lol. it’s the ES127 and just trying to understand how I’m the OTA actually needs to be. I don’t have a flattener yet I heard that it’s not a necessity so thought I would see for myself before splashing out. It comes with two big spacers think they are 51mm each but I am just really confused if I need both and also how it actually steps down in sizes as the aperture is far to big to attach the zwo spacers and cameras. Do I need to buy additional adapters? Any assistance would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

Edited by Simon Pepper

Those extension tubes that come with ES scopes are focuser drawtube extenions meant for helping reach focus as the travel distance of the ES hexafoc focuser is very short (about 45mm only as opposed to 95 - 115mm found on many 2.5 - 3.5" R&P focusers). Install them between the drawtube and the 2" eyepiece clamp first. Then attach the zwo camera by using the included 1.25 or 2" nosepiece (like inserting an eyepiece). The spacers that come with your zwo camera are for back spacing between flattener/reducer and the camera.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@KP82 ok this is awesome info so that’s sort of what I had but I actually had the 55mm spacing going into the eyepiece shown below. So basically if I use without a flattener this config I remove the zwo spacers and use the camera nosepiece. But adding a flattener (turns up tomorrow) that goes into the eyepiece compression and then I add the zwo spacers. Just one other question if I may is there an adapter from the ES extensions to the flattener that’s threaded? I have not used compression rings before can they be trusted? Thanks 

9EBFC98D-A3B7-4322-A35B-DA61E1BA0287.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Simon Pepper said:

@KP82 ok this is awesome info so that’s sort of what I had but I actually had the 55mm spacing going into the eyepiece shown below. So basically if I use without a flattener this config I remove the zwo spacers and use the camera nosepiece. But adding a flattener (turns up tomorrow) that goes into the eyepiece compression and then I add the zwo spacers. Just one other question if I may is there an adapter from the ES extensions to the flattener that’s threaded? I have not used compression rings before can they be trusted? Thanks 

The hexafoc thread is M68x0.75. Baader offer this as one of their clicklock options and I think that I've seen the M68x0.75 to M68x1 inverter ring as a separate part. From M68x1 you should be able to find Baader adapters to get to whatever the camera or flattener use (I assume M42). Alternatively, you could just replace one of your Bresser extensions and the clamp with the Baader 2" clicklock which would give you a solid connection as well as the ability to quickly and easily remove or rotate the camera in the focuser. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Simon Pepper said:

As said by Ricochet the thread size of the hexafoc extension tube is M68x0.75. If you're getting the dedicated ES flattener for the ED127, chances are it should thread into the extension tube without any adapters. Otherwise you will need an inverter to convert the 0.75mm thread pitch to the more common 1mm. And from there you can find all sort of adapters (Baader, TS Optics and Astro Essentials by FLO) that convert M68 to one of the popular thread sizes used on the scope end of flatteners/reducers (M63, M54, M82, etc.). Threaded connection is usually preferred to avoid any tilting or de-centering issues.

For the camera end of your flattener, check the specs to see if you need a M48 to M42 step down adapter (I believe some ZWO cameras come with one by default).

• Thanks 1

Thanks both I managed to brave it tonight before the rain came. I had to add one of the  ES spacer to the focus draw tube to get in the region I also used the Hotech flattener ordered from @FLO which turned up the next day really love those guys and that slot into the eyepiece holder and managed to do a quick test. 

I nearly lost the scope into the mount when balancing I thought I would do RA first and the top heavyness of the glass swung the Dec towards the tripod somehow the clutch was just tight enough and I managed to grab the Losmandy plate one lesson learned there! After that near disaster all went well. Guiding was at 1 total rms which is about normal for my heq5. 

I literally managed 30s on NGC891 and it started to spit it’s pretty bad as just a screen shot not the actual file. There is a little elongation in the corners so I think I just need to play with the flattener a little but overall success.

Can always count on the community here. Thank you! 

35580E0A-039C-4A51-B30E-E8ADABD46743.png