SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First time using dedicated astro camera - Histogram advice

Evening everyone,

Lucky enough to take delivery of my first ever dedicated astro camera yesterday (2600mc pro) Amazingly it's clear tonight so I'm working things out and doing some tests.

I have a question about the histogram as it looks quite different to how it appeared when using my DSLR. I usually stick to 300sec exposures and when using my DSLR this moved the peak of the data in from the left by a good margin, 20% or more depending on the moon phase. However as you can see from this screenshot the histogam peak on a 300sec exposure with my new camera appears in APT to be clipping the black point as it's against the left hand side.

Is this the case, am I interpreting this correctly? Any adjustments I should be making?

I currently have the gain set to 100 with an offset of 50. The second histogram is a 600sec exposure with the same settings.

Thanks all

Screenshot_20211021-201440_Aweray Remote.jpg

Screenshot_20211021-201736_Aweray Remote.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

You should be ok with these settings and as Newbie alert says, it should move away from the left hand edge with stretching.  The characteristics of your DSLR will be different, lower bit depth and probably a higher in built offset