Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Odddddd stars all of a sudden

BrendanC

Hi all,

I'm currently imaging, hoovering up some clusters while the Moon's bright, and I've just noticed something oddddd about my stars. There's a strange spike sticking out at about 11 o'clock (330 degrees-ish). Focus is good, and I've checked that the camera's not tilted, but it's still there. Any ideas? Image is a zoomed-in screenshot quickly edited to show what I mean.

Untitled-1.jpg.001694d1023286ad0c7ed85c9f30f520.jpg

This is from a 130PDS (Newtonian) and EOS1000D camera, on an NEQ6 mount. The scope has a primary baffle which I've checked and seems to be in place, and the camera is astro-modded and has a 0.9x coma corrector. The shots aren't guided, they're just 60 second exposures, tracking.

Thanks, Brendan

Edited by BrendanC

OK, just bit the bullet - went out, checked everything, took the camera out, checked collimation (not easy in the dark, even with a torch), re-seated the camera, tweaked the vanes to make sure they were as straight as I could get them, re-focused... and the problem is gone. I think the camera may not have been quite properly seated. Anyway, problem solved, in the field! 🙂