Sh2-114 The Fying Dragon and other creatures in Cygnus

gorann

Moon is out so I have been catching Ha and Oiii with my dual-RASA rig using the very likable IDAS NBZ filters. Highly recommended for an OSC and the results are almost RGB like with a lot of star colour.

The Flying Dragon (Sh2-114) is here almost escaping my FOV up to the left (I was a bit lucky there I have to admit). The creture just to the right of it was new to me. Then there is also a massive and relatively bright Ha area dominating the right half of the image, and a big dark void just right of it. Not much Oiii signal to be seen in this image. The Flying Dragon is notoriously difficult to catch, I previously barely caught it with an f/7 refractor and a dark site is needed (mine is Bortle 2-3). In this case the signal was quite strong at f/2 and 14 hours.

So, 2 x RASA 8 with ASI2600MC (gain 100, offset 30. -10°C) on Mesu200. 84 x 10 min subs = 14 hours. Processed in PI and PS, with especial help by the Star Xterminator filter in PS that allowed me to put back the stars at a level of my own liking, which helps a lot with faint objects like these.

Cheers, Göran

20211017-18 Sh2-114 RASA1+2 PS24smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Very nice Goran, those twin turrets are proving to be very productive.

Thats so much Richard! Yes, twice the data and I can let one cover for the star shapes in a corner if one has a bad night😉, or worse, if its laptop decides to stop aquireing data while I am a sleep.