Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lulin and Saturn

jgs001

There was a break in the constant greyness that has blanketed the skies for most of the week, It only lasted an hour but I made the most of it.

I setup the 15x70's on my camera tripod, and headed out to try and find this elusive comet that has been around for the past couple of weeks, Comet Lulin. I tried on Saturday, but failed. Anyway, after checking it's position on Heavens Above, I pointed the bins to roughly the right place, and with only a minor sweep, there it was. Excellent and one of those WOW! moments.

I thought I could clearly see, after studying the comet for a while, that it was changing position relative to the background stars. After watching for a while, I went and had a look at Saturn. Not an easy target at this low power, but the rings could just be made out.

And then the clouds spoilt the view...

Nice report John, I had a similar (short) night out yesterday, with much the same targets in mind. Still not sure if I did find Lulin, I will have to take the next opportunity to see if what I thought was Lulin has moved. In retrospect I probably should have done what you did and checked the position of it over the evening to see if it was moving. I'll be sure to do this next time the cloud clears :lol:

Amanda

Thanks Glen, I'm glad I got it in the window.

Thanks Amanda, just read you're report and it certainly sounds like you saw it to me. I got some shots of it with the scope, might be worth you taking a look, as they were capturing whilst I was watching in the bins at about the same time as you, you might be able to use the background stars to confirm.

Archived