Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging Jupiter with my new PlayerOne camera

Lucas_M

Sedna-M is the name of Player One's camera carrying a monochromatic IMX178 sensor.
I'm the lucky winner of the brand's contest and received this great camera as a prize.
It was developed for guiding, but I've been testing it for planetary captures, as the quality of the 178 sensor is already known and approved for this purpose.
Below is one of the first complete images in RGB that I was able to complete. The seeing wasn't perfect, but it was fair enough to extract an image with Jupiter details and features.

RGB (60s videos)

2021-08-24-0351_4-WJ_R6-RGB_R6_FW_PIX_PP.png.95257149ad2a521a13af41bfae29f9a2.png

• Like 8

4 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Nice image Lucas. On CN they talk about pattern noise with this sensor They say some get it, some dont. However i have had no problem on lunar with it. Infact its a excellent camera from my experiance.  Congratulations on the prize

Thank you!

A challenge in astrophotography is fighting to beat the noise.
I'm capturing the first planetary images with a monochromatic camera and realized that it's easier to deal with the noise than using the color camera (ASI290mc). I still need more tests to notice imx178's shortcomings.

On PlayerOne's website there is an explanation about HCG Mode which appears to be a new technology for dealing with noise in high gain situations.

HCG  Mode
The Sedna-M camera has a unique HCG mode, which will automatically turn on when the camera gain setting is >30. The HCG mode can greatly reduce the readout noise and retain the same high dynamic range as the low gain.

• Like 1