NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC1340 - first use of Svbony EOS CLS Filter

Taken from my bortle 7/8 back garden when there was a brief break in the clouds last night - I really just wanted to see how much difference the CLS filter made. Taken with 200mm prime lens at f16! (yes, stupidly I turned the aperture the wrong way as I was in such a rush!!)

This is just 20x30s lights (best 16 used), iso1600, 20 Darks, 40 Flats stacked in DSS (for a change!), processed in StarTools and final tweaks in Gimp.

I know its a bit rubbish and slightly out of focus but it bodes well for my filter when I can do longer sessions with the right settings!! 

I only imaged it cos that's where the break in the clouds were and when I saw 'supernova remnant' I couldn't resist!

IC1340.png

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, qisback said:

Very impressed with the reprocessing,  what did you do differently?

Thanks! I was impressed with how it changed just by tweaks here and there.

I mainly used the mask in different ways - firstly to bring out the colour in the nebulosity (after getting sampled colouring from the stars rather than let ST do its thing globally). I then used the mask again to de-fringe and dim the stars and then eased off on the noise reduction. It was a mix from about 4 different Youtube ST tutorials. Good use of bad weather! 

1 minute ago, happy-kat said:

Good to see examples of this filter being used and 30 second exposures, coupled with f16 it shows I shouldn't rule this filter out with even shorter exposure potential. 

Having never used a filter before and not being sure how much it would be of use now that LED seems to be taking over the world I was really impressed with the difference - takes my garden viewing to a different level. I'm hoping additional use at different settings will be super impressive! And it was only £60! 🤞

3 hours ago, Dazzyt66 said:

Having never used a filter before and not being sure how much it would be of use now that LED seems to be taking over the world I was really impressed with the difference - takes my garden viewing to a different level. I'm hoping additional use at different settings will be super impressive! And it was only £60! 🤞

I have a little EOS CLS clip-filter in some kit I bought from a friend, always been using the HA filter but will have to give the CLS a go.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, qisback said:

I have a little EOS CLS clip-filter in some kit I bought from a friend, always been using the HA filter but will have to give the CLS a go.

Yeah, its the clip in version I'm using. Really pleased with it!