NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What is a quintuplet?

Just wondering...

From my reading broadly speaking, (I know there are exceptions), a doublet has two lenses, second lens re focuses blue and red light to reduce chromatic aberration. ED and fluorite coatings are often used here to further reduce CA. Marketing often use Achromatic as a selling keyword.

Triplets have an additional lens which focuses 3 wavelengths further reducing CA. Marketing often calls these Apochromatic.

Quadruplets builds upon the triplet and adds a fourth lens which flattens the FOV useful in AP.

So what does the 5th lens do in a quintuplet?

Edited by GalaticBoba

Often these multiple element systems have the lenses arranged in more than one group, so you can find a doublet or a triplet set much closer to the focuser of the scope.

The TAL Apolar 125mm had 6 elements with just a singlet as the furthest forward and no low dispersion glass types used. It was pretty much apochromatic as I recall. I would not want to have to collimate one though !

DARK STAR astronomia, test strumentali, telescopi, montature astronomiche,  fotografia planetaria, deep sky - TAL 125 APOLAR

Point 7 above is the focal plane, not a further element.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John said:

Often these multiple element systems have the lenses arranged in more than one group, so you can find a doublet or a triplet set much closer to the focuser of the scope.

The TAL Apolar 125mm had 6 elements with just a singlet as the furthest forward and no low dispersion glass types used. It was pretty much apochromatic as I recall. I would not want to have to collimate one though !

DARK STAR astronomia, test strumentali, telescopi, montature astronomiche,  fotografia planetaria, deep sky - TAL 125 APOLAR

Point 7 above is the focal plane, not a further element.

I see, so a quintuplets could actually be similar to quads and triplets just with lenses grouped together. I would assume in the above diagram 2, 3 and 4 are for CA and lenses 5 and 6 are for flattening the image.