Camera upgrade Altair 183c or 269c

MillHey Nebula

I am thinking of upgrdaing my camera.  I currently use a GPCAM 290c.  It has been great for imaging galaxies and things of a similar relatively small size.  I now want to get something that has a sensor size more appropriate for photographing nebula etc.  At present I do not want to go down a monochrome route so OSC it will have to be.  My scope is a Starwave 80mm F6 triplet.  For a long time I had been leaning towards the 183c, but I am now begining to think that maybe the larger pixels of the 269c would be a better bet.  Does anybody have any experience and / or view on these two cameras?

Afternoon,

I run a 269c on my WO Megrez 72 with 0.8 flattener / reducer.

I used to have a 183c as well. Obviously the protec cooling is a bonus but you are paying more.

There is amp glow on the 183c but it calibrates out ok. Amp glow is non-existant from my 269c and it works well on APT (don't know what you use ? AA capture ??)

269c looks a good match for your scope on ccd suitability calculator.

I'm really pleased with mine.

Regards

Neil

Edited by smudgeball
spelling !
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MillHey Nebula said:

I am thinking of upgrdaing my camera.  I currently use a GPCAM 290c.  It has been great for imaging galaxies and things of a similar relatively small size.  I now want to get something that has a sensor size more appropriate for photographing nebula etc.  At present I do not want to go down a monochrome route so OSC it will have to be.  My scope is a Starwave 80mm F6 triplet.  For a long time I had been leaning towards the 183c, but I am now begining to think that maybe the larger pixels of the 269c would be a better bet.  Does anybody have any experience and / or view on these two cameras?

The 269c for me, bigger sensor bigger pixels. But honestly I would go with the ASI533mc pro over either of those choices. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I know this is a few months old thread, but I'm looking at getting the Altair 269c, what's putting you off the 269c, and makes you want to get the ASI533mc, or the Altair equivalent  I'v not yet decided 100%, but the Altair 533 was my alterative camera after the 269c. Any incite would be good. Also any other recommendation's would be good. I'm looking at both the Tec cooled cameras.

On 03/01/2022 at 12:04, Mcwarrior19 said:

I know this is a few months old thread, but I'm looking at getting the Altair 269c, what's putting you off the 269c, and makes you want to get the ASI533mc, or the Altair equivalent  I'v not yet decided 100%, but the Altair 533 was my alterative camera after the 269c. Any incite would be good. Also any other recommendation's would be good. I'm looking at both the Tec cooled cameras.

Its a front illuminated sensor and not a back illuminated sensor so its got lower QE in comparion to the 533 and higher read noise.

Adam