NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Apt focussing just got better

bottletopburly

Apt 3.88.4 released yesterday included a New autofocus routine ,now the autofocus routine it uses is excellent as it is ,the new version looks to be even better ,now just a clear night to test ,details here https://aptforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=16&p=31895&sid=1648cfeafccbceb1ae5e4365393d2414#p31895

• Like 1

Sounds interesting. I haven't seen it yet. Will download it tomorrow.

I used my new Sesto Senso focuser for the 1st time recently. My first foray into auto focus.

I use APT and found the auto focus routine a bit fiddly, not getting a clean parabolic curve. Not even a curve much of the time but the image seemed focussed! Hopefully this new version will be an improvement for me.

Focussing is another plateau on the imaging learning curve!

6 hours ago, Paul M said:

Sounds interesting. I haven't seen it yet. Will download it tomorrow.

I used my new Sesto Senso focuser for the 1st time recently. My first foray into auto focus.

I use APT and found the auto focus routine a bit fiddly, not getting a clean parabolic curve. Not even a curve much of the time but the image seemed focussed! Hopefully this new version will be an improvement for me.

Focussing is another plateau on the imaging learning curve!

To be fair you do need to tweak settings for autofocus for your particular setup in Apt though by the sound of it this may not be required in the new algorithm but probably worth reading through 

https://astrophotography.app/usersguide/auto_focusing_aid.htm

• Like 1

I'm just downloading it now. The new focusing routine sounds very interesting.

Quite excited about getting a clear (dark!) night. I've used HNSky to create a mosaic of M31 and imported that into APT . Then using the new features of Session Craft, I've hopefully created a fully automated mosaic plan for M31. Would be nice to have autofocus performing a bit more positively (for me on my set up) for that.

I keep looking for reasons to try NINA but as it is, APT continues to evolve at a grater pace than my need for new features! :) 

• Like 1