NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tal MT-1C mount - OTA choices/weight

TauZero

Hi all. First post here...

I just acquired a TAL MT-1C mount in near perfect condition. All the gears in the motor are metal and appear in pristine conditions. I would like to put a 8 inch dob OTA on top of it, which would weigh around 10-11kg, once accessories are taken into account. Question for you (and AndyH), would this mount support/track the weight correctly? This mount is the model with the larger black box housing the motor extending to the bottom corner of the mount (see screenshot attached), as opposed to the 3C (I believe) which has a smaller motor/housing right on the axis. Thanks in advance for any insights!

V

Screenshot_2021-09-12-22-29-03-248_com.dolphin.browser.zero.jpg

The TAL 1 mount, either manual or motorised, is designed for a 4" telescope that weighs no more than 5kg. Fitting an 8" scope that weighs more than double that won't help its tracking accuracy at all. Also, there are no actual bearings in these mounts, only bushings.

So, the answer to your question is: no, it won't support/track the weight correctly.

• Cornelius Varley changed the title to Tal MT-1C mount - OTA choices/weight

Thanks for that Roy. Just found info on the NPZ factory website (see screenshot) that indicates this MT 1C mount is good for up to 10kg OTA. Do you have different experience with it? Advertised weight too high? 

@AndyH you're the TAL expert, what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Screenshot_2021-09-13-09-54-02-592_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by TauZero

I have an early non-motorised Tal 1 mount. It definitely doesn't have ball bearings in the RA axis, although the MT1 may well do. Even so, the mounts are similar in size, and although well made for what they cost, I think 10kg is a bit optimistic, certainly my mount would not support 10kg - it barely supports 5kg.

Having said that, you already have the mount, so why not try it and let us know.

AndyH hasn't been on here for a couple of years, as far as I know.

Edited by Roy Challen

I've owned a couple of those TAL mounts. They are rugged and won't actually break with a 10kg scope on them but observing will not be much fun with a typical 200mm F/6 dob optical tube on it. The TAL-2 mount is a lot more stable for heavier optical tubes - which is why TAL used it with their 6 inch F/8 newtonian.