NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

is this eyepiece damaged / lacerta 30 mm ED 2"

vlnikolic

hello everybody,

this morning i've received my st120 scope, and some equipment.. i've received lacerta 30 mm 2" ED as well.

i am not sure if this eyepiece is maybe damaged, so i would like to hear your opinion. eyepiece is very pleasant to use, and it seems to me that it works well, although i've tried it during daytime - just to check it. however it is possible to see a small cracks or maybe some foggy production residues in two sides / in the very end of the ocular. please see pictures and videos here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HR4PTQsfFjn6eK6F7

since i have very limited experience, my question would be:

is this eyepiece damaged?

thanks

vlad

If you can see it in the eyepiece - and it looks that way from your images - it must be at the field lens near the field stop as it is in focus when you look at it.

You can probably remove barrel from the eyepiece (most of my eyepieces allow barrel to be unscrewed) - so you can easily access field lens and examine it.

Maybe all you need to do is to wipe it clean - but be careful of wiping optical surfaces - don't use any force and maybe just use blow bulb before to remove anything that is loose - than use cotton q-tip with alcohol or other lens cleaning liquid and try to very gently remove that residue (maybe it is just lint and maybe it is dried residue on field lens).

hello vlaiv, and thank you for joining in.. as usual you are precise and detailed with your answer

: )

super - if that is the case no need to worry much. these hair-like strings are very close to the edges - so it should not be the problem.

i was not sure if these were tiny cracks in the glass...

according to vlaiv's suggestion on other forum i put some additional pictures of this from the other side of ocular. this looks to me really as some sort of "cloth or tiny hair like thing" and visually it seems as it is from both sides of the first lens of the eyepiece..

hey - vodka is always welcome
: )

i "knocked" a bit into "this" and it seems that it is "welded" on a lens. this fungus seems to be an explanation.. since it is not much distributed on the surface - maybe the best option is to do nothing hehe

47 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

If it is fungus, you must remove it immediately or it will spread.

Try acetone on a Q-Tip first, something stronger if acetone doesn't work.

dear sir - thank you for your reply.

i am sorry if i sound silly but:

i've already used this eyepiece with the 2" diagonal mirror. in the setup mirror was under the eyepiece (horizontal telescope position)

maybe i've infected the mirror as well?

• 1 month later...