NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Changing from DSLR to Astro cam

Portech7

Hi

I'm thinking of changing from my tired old Astro mod'd Canon 1100d to a designated Astro Cam. 

I'd like something which can work with both my 200p F5 reflector and my short F5.5 refractor. 

Got £500 budget, so I've looked at the Altair Astro hypercam 183c pro and the ZWO equivalent. 

I could get a newer Canon DSLR as very familiar with them now, but I'd like to try something different. 

Not against used Astro cams either but it would be nice to have something new. 

Any thoughts on the two mentioned Astro cams please? 

Thx

D

I'm not sure how much extra you would  get from an uncooled astrocam over a DSLR. The main benefit of star cameras is the ability to use set point cooling to reduce noise and make darks much easier and better. Personally I think a second hand cooled camera is a better option than an uncooled new one. You might have to increase your budget a little, but I think this would be worthwhile to get the improvement.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...