NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Two cameras with one connection to PC?

centroid

• centroid changed the title to Two cameras with one connection to PC?

I do this with two ZWO cameras, USB cable runs from guidecam (120MM) to USB port on main imaging camera (071MC Pro), then USB from imaging camera to laptop.

Only things I would be careful with is making sure that your software is trying to connect to the right camera. I had an issue where PHD2 was connecting to my imaging camera and APT was trying to cool my guidecam. Gave me a bit of a panic when it disabled my cooling the main camera and watching the temperature spike for a couple of minutes while I figured out what happened was not fun.

Easily fixed by making sure the right option was ticked on connect equipment on PHD2 and shift clicking on connect camera on APT.

1 hour ago, CloudMagnet said:

I do this with two ZWO cameras, USB cable runs from guidecam (120MM) to USB port on main imaging camera (071MC Pro), then USB from imaging camera to laptop.

Only things I would be careful with is making sure that your software is trying to connect to the right camera. I had an issue where PHD2 was connecting to my imaging camera and APT was trying to cool my guidecam. Gave me a bit of a panic when it disabled my cooling the main camera and watching the temperature spike for a couple of minutes while I figured out what happened was not fun.

Easily fixed by making sure the right option was ticked on connect equipment on PHD2 and shift clicking on connect camera on APT.

• 5 weeks later...

I am using a USB hub to connect a couple of cameras - I am using a USB 3 Startech Hub with a 12Volt power input, which I made up a power lead to work off the 12Volt supply that I use on my Scope to power a DC - DC voltage convertor for a DSLR and for a 12Volt cooling fan  & a planned powered focusser.

Using a powered hub can avoid any power limitations from your USB port.