Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SharpCap frame rate?

StuartT

SharpCap very helpfully generates a text file of camera settings with each movie it shoots. But I can't seem to find the frame rate.

The only reference it seems to make to frame rate is this 

Frame Rate Limit=Maximum

is there not a way to get it record the actual frame rate? I guess this varies through the capture, but it could presumably give you a mean?

9 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Or you could simply calculate it yourself by frames_captured / total_duration

But it doesn't seem to provide that either. Here is the complete settings file

[ZWO ASI2600MC Pro]
Debayer Preview=Off
Pan=1880
Tilt=776
Output Format=SER file (*.ser)
Binning=1
Capture Area=3120x2088
Colour Space=RAW16
Hardware Binning=Off
High Speed Mode=Off
Turbo USB=100(Auto)
Flip=None
Frame Rate Limit=Maximum
Gain=517
Exposure=3.2E-05
Timestamp Frames=Off
White Bal (B)=99
White Bal (R)=56(Auto)
Brightness=0
Anti Dew Heater=Off
Temperature=-15.5
Cooler Power=72
Target Temperature=-15
Cooler=On
Auto Exp Max Gain=350
Auto Exp Max Exp M S=30000
Auto Exp Target Brightness=100
Mono Bin=Off
Banding Threshold=35
Banding Suppression=0
Apply Flat=None
Subtract Dark=None
#Black Point
Display Black Point=0
#MidTone Point
Display MidTone Point=0.5
#White Point
Display White Point=1
Notes=
TimeStamp=2021-08-28T00:19:10.1244739Z
SharpCapVersion=3.2.6482.0

3 minutes ago, StuartT said:

But it doesn't seem to provide that either. Here is the complete settings file

Yes, that is strange, however, software like PIPP should be able to give you both things - number of frames and total duration.

SER file format records time stamp for each sub (it is actually optional if I remember correctly - but most software will add that info) - and duration is simply = (last timestamp - first timestamp)

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Yes, that is strange, however, software like PIPP should be able to give you both things - number of frames and total duration.

SER file format records time stamp for each sub (it is actually optional if I remember correctly - but most software will add that info) - and duration is simply = (last timestamp - first timestamp)

Thanks. I've kind of gotten used to SharpCap now, so I'd rather not have to keep learning new pieces of software ideally.

Maybe I will contact the creator, Robin Glover and see what he says.

Thanks vlaiv

16 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Thanks. I've kind of gotten used to SharpCap now, so I'd rather not have to keep learning new pieces of software ideally.

Thanks vlaiv

PIPP is not replacement to for SharpCap - but rather complementing software and you should get to know it eventually.

It enables you to split / join / calibrate your video captures. It has a lot of features like ROI / stabilization of recording both surface and COG (not needed with AS!3 as it does the same) and frame selector ...

As soon as you add your recording to it (simple as drag and drop) it will show you general info on it:

image.png.7debae1e05e59c4cfcba7d03fc43a9a1.png

Edited by vlaiv
poor wording
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Thanks vlaiv

I also use sharpcap as my first choice software for everything i can and i also avoid using other software. However, some things have to be made outside sharpcap. Vlav suggestion is great and i use Pipp when i want to process planet images and it opens fast. I've never noticed that fps column on it until now. To check the fps during my sharpcap sessions i just look at the bottom of the monitor where sharpcap show the fps but indeed the PIPP idea is good if one wants to check it later. May be Robin want to add that to the .txt file. He usually do those simple updates when people ask and he think worth to do.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

PIPP is not replacement to for SharpCap - but rather complementing software and you should get to know it eventually.

It enables you to split / join / calibrate your video captures. It has a lot of features like ROI / stabilization of recording both surface and COG (not needed with AS!3 as it does the same) and frame selector ...

As soon as you add your recording to it (simple as drag and drop) it will show you general info on it:

image.png.7debae1e05e59c4cfcba7d03fc43a9a1.png

So this is interesting. I think I need to check out PIPP. So do you mean it's possible to combine multiple videos? Usually I shoot a bunch of 1 or 2 minute videos and process the best one. I kind of assumed it wasn't possible to combine different videos into one, but maybe it is?

37 minutes ago, Tiago Ferreira said:

May be Robin want to add that to the .txt file. He usually do those simple updates when people ask and he think worth to do.

Thanks. I posted on the SharpCap forum and asked him if he might consider adding this in a future version

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StuartT said:

So this is interesting. I think I need to check out PIPP. So do you mean it's possible to combine multiple videos? Usually I shoot a bunch of 1 or 2 minute videos and process the best one. I kind of assumed it wasn't possible to combine different videos into one, but maybe it is?

It is possible - but not something that you want to necessarily do.

Jupiter rotates and if you stack too long video you'll get motion blur due to planet rotation.

AS!3 deals with some level of rotation so it can stack 3-4 times longer videos than would be otherwise possible, but to do what you suggest - you'd need to use another piece of software called WinJUPos.

You can then take your 1 or 2 minute videos and create image out of each of those, then load it to WinJUPos and "derotate" each successive image to match the first one. After that you can stack those images together - to produce something equivalent to stack from long capture.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

It is possible - but not something that you want to necessarily do.

Jupiter rotates and if you stack too long video you'll get motion blur due to planet rotation.

AS!3 deals with some level of rotation so it can stack 3-4 times longer videos than would be otherwise possible, but to do what you suggest - you'd need to use another piece of software called WinJUPos.

You can then take your 1 or 2 minute videos and create image out of each of those, then load it to WinJUPos and "derotate" each successive image to match the first one. After that you can stack those images together - to produce something equivalent to stack from long capture.

ok, I think I misunderstood you then, when you said this

It enables you to split / join / calibrate your video captures