Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO ASI071MC Pro Camera First Light!

Paul M

I got this new camera a few weeks ago but weather, life and the universe (?!) prevented my having a play. Last night/this morning was my first opportunity to play.

I also got a Sesto Senso focuser, purchased as a warranty return but I found a few of the necessary grub screws missing. FLO have sourced some and I got them today, just too late to include in last nights efforts! :)

One new piece of kit is enough in any one session.

So my other camera is the very capable ASI178 MC, no cooling though and a very small field. My first impressions were what a nice big field this camera gives. I already knew that from online tools but, still, nice to see it in real life.

I set the cooling for 0 deg C using the tool in APT and left it cooling while I polar aligned my de-modded NEQ6 Pro mount. Guiding was with an ASI120mini and PHD2 through the standard SW 50mm spotting scope. I have to say, the guiding was so very pleasing all session. 

The Telescope is a 250 PDS, and the camera had an Optolong L-Pro filter and Baader MPCC coma corrector in its train. Unlike the ASI178, this 071 sees the full vignetted field so coma is an issue if not addressed. The MPCC seems to have done a good job. Though it's difficult to tell with my dog-rough focusing! :)

I took 50 flat frames at dawn but it was a bit rough and ready. The flats haven't worked so well so lots of use of AstroFlat Pro plug-in for P.S. required. Everything is stacked in DSS and the 'shopped to the best of my skills. I should say, I'm not a pixel peeper and just like things to look nice and pretty. 

Last night wasn't the best conditions. A waxing gibbous Moon affected most of the session and, well, everything could have done with more exposure. Lot's more!

In no particular order, I offer the efforts of my all nighter.

M27. 12 x 240sec  this is quite a crop, mostly to lose the worst of the vignetting and to get up close an personal. 

1494828592_M272021-08-2612x240LEQMODHEQ56ZWOASI071MCPro_stacked.thumb.jpg.459468b911149874eb287a0d47953e07.jpg

Perseus Double Cluster. 104 x 30 sec. The field of this camera just about does it justice.

1414753582_DoubleCluster.thumb.jpg.3a409ca8d1cda52ba86805f618c583b5.jpg

Something very new for me, the Eastern Veil. I actually gave up after 5 x 240 sec because live stacking wasn't giving me much hope. But a bit of effort brought this oout of the scarce data! :)

961315785_EasterVeil.thumb.jpg.78fbb27b1db8ff64c1502af81785a154.jpg

Finally, the Bubble Nebula that also captured the Nova in Cassiopeia. M52 appearing bottom right too. 15 x 120 sec

1055124142_TheBubble.thumb.jpg.a46608609f4e331335dba8af43e97205.jpg

All things considered, I'm a happy bunny with regards, to my new camera :)

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, iantaylor2uk said:

Great camera - I love mine - only issue is because it is such a wide field of view you need a good flattener (for refractors) or good coma corrector (for reflectors) or else you have to crop the final image. 

Yeah. I got the MPCC for use with my DSLR and didn't need it with the ASI178.

It seems to be doing ok. The vignetting is off center and out of focus star images also show a bit of a tweak is needed in the collimation department.

My biggest problem is not staying with one subject to get lots of data. It's like I'm still visual, dashing between objects... :)

• Like 1